nakamichi 550- 5db loss on right channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i have lately lost 5 db on right channel after five years of good playing- ive cleaned pinch roller - fitted new belt- but cannot fix it- i photoed the head as best i can- things look a bit rough. any thoughts please?
nak550.jpg

The UK used to have them serviced/repaired up to ( circa-2013) by the UK version of B&W ( not the EU version ) but the UK version shut down .

What you can do is lap it -

What is the Lapping and Define the Process?

This shows a machine doing it but as an ex engineer I have lapped many machine tools in industry --yes its slow - yes you hand gets sore but it can be done .

Special lapping compound used to be available I don't know if it still is with UK engineering being devastated now .

No you cant use sheets of emery used for normal steel it must be extremely fine or just the paste --it takes time .

Yes the USA has a company that does the job but I don't know any in the UK?

Is a new head unobtanium?
I have used valve lapping paste on steel
Diamond paste works, you can read up how to use it.
Or use fine - 1500 and 2000 grit abrasive sheets, from car paint shops.
There are also cutting polishes available at auto paint shops..
I use abrasive sheets stuck to foam backing, and polish upside down, the paper is lying face up on the table, I move the article to be polished. You can use several newspapers, the idea is to get as flat a surface as possible.
It is a five minute job, you need to just polish it a few microns.
And try to find a head, then copy all your cassettes to digital.

Lapping is needed when you need to retain the profile, then you need a special tool called a lap, of softer material than the job, and having dimples or some other way of storing lapping abrasive.
The head looks worn out to me, you will need to replace it sooner or later.
A convex profile will need a precise concave lap.
But I have repaired optical component moulds, so I know what to do.
Start with soft abrasives, even ordinary tooth paste, then shiner tooth paste, and then move on to harder abrasives as needed.
The coils are near the surface, do not go deep.
Practice first, then hold the head in a small vise after adding rubber or similar supports, don't crush it.
Then use a shoe polish movement with abrasive paper strips, start with cloth and tooth paste to practice.
Wash hands and all surfaces with alcohol every time you progress from coarser to finer abrasive grades.
Should not take long to remove a hair or so thickness of material.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.