Analogue to digital for correction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering the idea of using digital correction for room and speaker correction.
However i use vinyl as a source and a tube amplifier (amongst other things)
Is there a high quality and inexpensive way to do this or is this simply incompatible.
I am not really sure where the thread belongs but would be very interested to have some input.
Thanks
Mike

Thanks Jan, i think to do it, the signal has to be in the digital domain at some point i believe, do people do that please. i currently have a 3 way speaker with bi-amp in that the bass has a Hypex module fed and i can use DSP on the bass.
That works very well, and i am considering the idea of line arrays, so will need to do speaker correction and room correction if i do that, but anticipate that means taking the whole signal digital, i know nothing about that...........

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I use a miniDSP 4x10HD as my preamp. Means I can do things like RIAA in the digital domain as well as the active crossover. Whilst some have a fear of AD conversion of vinyl I hear no loss (but have been given a superior ADC card to fit in my phono stage as it was cheap)

Many will tell you that the conversion will ruin the sound. Not my experience.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
At the moment yes I use the miniDSP ADC. But I have a TI EVM to replace it with that which I got from a mate who worked there. For fun really. No real accepted best practice, but the latest focusrite scarlet 2i2 is considered to have an exceedingly good implementation.

Review: MiniDSP 4x10HD – Neurochrome if you look here you will see the miniDSP model I have does not have shabby performance at all out thebox.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thanks Jan, i think to do it, the signal has to be in the digital domain at some point i believe, do people do that please. i currently have a 3 way speaker with bi-amp in that the bass has a Hypex module fed and i can use DSP on the bass.
That works very well, and i am considering the idea of line arrays, so will need to do speaker correction and room correction if i do that, but anticipate that means taking the whole signal digital, i know nothing about that...........

You can get a miniDSP as Bill mentioned, that has analog in and out, with the DSP part in between. You can wedge it into your system for instance between preamp and the xover filter system (if that is active).
So it is relatively transparent and allows you free play without messing with your main system.

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.