Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

What cartridge upgrade from a Shure V15 v-mr ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2021, 09:43 AM   #1
el donkey is offline el donkey  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default What cartridge upgrade from a Shure V15 v-mr ?

I am considering trying a different cartridge. Maybe a MC. There is nothing wrong with the sound from this Shure MM.
Its just I don't know what more I might be missing.

If I moved to a MC I would also need a step up transformer.

The Shure has been highly regarded over the years, but would a change be a notable upgrade?

Budget, I suppose what it would take for a clear step up.

Linn LP12
I forget the model but I updated to their own light weight carbon arm a fews ago.
Ext. Psu

Yarqin Lesbox tube phono amp
Cary SPL50a preamp (upgraded)
Beard P50 tube amp (upgraded)
Rogers J149 speakers (just love the vocal ability of these) + 2 x b&w subs tuned to support.
Old 9th January 2021, 07:59 PM   #2
duncan2 is offline duncan2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Funnily enough I have Hi-Fi Choice,s book on cartridges by Paul Messenger which includes your cartridge.

It didn't get a "Recommended " nor "Best Buy " .
It includes FR graphs .
I will leave out much of the info ( technical + subjective ) but-

Quote-
"Balance was quite good though it favoured mid-range -clear/detailed rather than the extremes which were less well focused .

There was "air"/"space " though depth was a little compressed .
Bass was powerful but a little "plummy " ,while the treble had a slightly "lispy " quality.
Overall effect was a lack of "energy " and a slightly "shut in " sound .

He was disappointed due to high expectations especially in regards to the treble , especially at that price level --he preferred the cheaper ML140HE which he says is "better balanced " .

And again funnily enough --guess what he listened on ? -- a Linn LP12 .
Old 9th January 2021, 08:17 PM   #3
vinylkid58 is online now vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by el donkey View Post
The Shure has been highly regarded over the years, but would a change be a notable upgrade?
Maybe try a Jico stylus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el donkey View Post
Linn LP12
I forget the model but I updated to their own light weight carbon arm a fews ago.
Linn never made (or contracted) a carbon arm. Is it possible you have a Project arm? Like the one that was on the Majic level LP12 for a while?

jeff
Old 9th January 2021, 08:18 PM   #4
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

Try a JICO neo SAS needle with your Shure, it will transform the cartridge. Can still find new ones on e y.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:32 PM   #5
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I’ll echo the call for a Jico SAS stylus. Fantastic upgrade to a very, very good generator.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:45 PM   #6
Freecrowder is offline Freecrowder  United States
diyAudio Member

I have owned your Shure and used it extensively years back. I have been using the newer AT VM540ML and I love it. A true giant killer in my book. Highly recommended in Stereophile and I agree. Have used a mix of MM and MC over the years but the only one I enjoyed as much was the Sumiko Talisman Alchemist years ago.
Old 9th January 2021, 08:50 PM   #7
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don't fall into the trap that MC is better than MM this was a marketing ploy by the manufactures to sell MC cartridges at a premium price, I know because I used to work for one. In those days most MC's used better stylus profiles than MM, except for a few like Stanton/Pickering that used Shibata. The Stanton 881s will produce an almost perfect squarewave its frequency response is so flat. MM's don't have the horrible high frequency rise that a lot of MC's have

I will vouch for the Jico stylus. I use a Technics EPC205 and have 3 stylus for it, an original Technics mk3 with the hollow boron pipe CL, and Jico SAS/Boron and SAS/Ruby. The SAS/B is slightly better than the OEM and the SAS/R beats both.

Last edited by warrjon; 9th January 2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 9th January 2021, 09:00 PM   #8
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

There are a couple of good Nagaoka (MP200 or MP300) and AT MM that you could look at.

MC types tend to be lower compliance, higher mass cartridges and tend not to be a good match on low mass arms due to their low to medium compliance. There are some high output types from Sumiko and others that might be worth considering.
Old 9th January 2021, 09:07 PM   #9
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a Sumiko Blackbird and a Blue Point Special both MC High output. They both work well with arms which are low mass. However, neither of those are as good as my Shure V15 with the JICO needle IMHO.
Old 9th January 2021, 10:33 PM   #10
Freecrowder is offline Freecrowder  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the JICO stylus? I have a Shure V15VMR that needs a stylus.

What cartridge upgrade from a Shure V15 v-mr ?Hide this!Advertise here!