Measuring TT Speed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In measuring my tt speed I am seeing the lines on the strobe bounce back and forth, not holding steady. This is a belt tt with a dc motor setup with a closed loop controller, and ideas on what can cause this? I am thinking the belt may be to tight, it is a new belt BTW...

Any number of possibilities (from most likely to least likely):

1. The strobe disk is not perfectly centered

2. The marks on the strobe disk are not perfectly located

3. If the platter is on a sub-platter, it is not perfectly centered

4. The bearing is not properly lubed or is sticking because the oil/grease is too thick

5. The belt is slipping because of contamination

6. The platter is eccentric

7. Feedback in your closed loop system is not set correctly, and the loop is "hunting"

8. The motor is speeding up and slowing down

Account Closed
Joined 2018
I have to say after checking out that, uh, machine online, that it's got to be the ugliest and most rediculous thing I've seen all this week.
Obviously it's one of those so-called "high end" monstrosities that are made to "wow" the average human mind with thoughts of audiophile delight.
And naturally, over-priced as well.

Yet, my lowly direct-drive Kenwood turntable is designed to do the very same thing - to silently and accurately rotate a record and play it.
And the strobe on that doesn't waver or vary.

One has to wonder why all those "high end" products seem to have issues after a short time, yet the "common stuff" like mine lasts for decades.

I have to say after checking out that, uh, machine online, that it's got to be the ugliest and most rediculous thing I've seen all this week.
Obviously it's one of those so-called "high end" monstrosities that are made to "wow" the average human mind with thoughts of audiophile delight.
And naturally, over-priced as well.

Yet, my lowly direct-drive Kenwood turntable is designed to do the very same thing - to silently and accurately rotate a record and play it.
And the strobe on that doesn't waver or vary.

One has to wonder why all those "high end" products seem to have issues after a short time, yet the "common stuff" like mine lasts for decades.

Thanks so much for all the kind words you are awesome!!! If you don't want to be part of the solution please don't be part of the problem, now KICK ROCKS!!!!!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Thanks so much for all the kind words you are awesome!!! If you don't want to be part of the solution please don't be part of the problem, now KICK ROCKS!!!!!

Certainly "part of the solution" is for me to point out, in honest terms, the rediculousness of some "high end" products.
And you say that manufacturer isn't in business any more?
I wonder why. :rolleyes:
They suckered people into buying their crap and took the money and fled the scene.
That...is part of the problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.