Ultra high spec opamp MC/MM phono, warp "elliptic" filter, line, headphone amps

Thanks Michael. If you have any questions- anything from build details to component choices, to design philosophy and justification etc.- don't hesitate to ask- I'm more than happy to engage.
The build guide is just that- how to use the boards for optimal results.
If you need design details- justifications etc. - the original AK thread has them scattered throughout, but there is no compact document that describes them.

Last edited:
Hi wynpalmer2. If I intend to use Mark's VRDN PSU, what can be left off?
I would definitely be interested in the v2.0 PCB - possibly even 2 off. If there are a few people down south here who are interested, we can have the PCBs sent in a single parcel via Aramex Global shopper - fixed rate for below 500 grammes.

I am not familiar with the PS that you refer to.
The needs of the design are straightforward. +/-15v, 200ma/rail current capacity.
<c. 1mv rms noise in the audio band. The added filter provides very high levels of rejection starting at a couple of kHz and becoming c. 80dB at 100kHz and above until several MHz.
As for purchasing boards, please PM me with details as I am about to place an order and it's currently fully subscribed so I will need a commitment to increase the quantity, and as the boards are sold at cost having potential buyers back out is not good.

I think Mark could tell you more about the VRDN than me. But it will easily handle the amperage. Not certain about the noise level. Still need to build one up. I have dropped you a PM for two PCBs - thanks a stack. Will pay as soon as I receive the details. Regards, Kevin
P.S. And of course send you the address details in New York State.

Hi Wyn. Personally I am not knowledgeable enough about electronics to ask the right questions - therefore none so far. I do however read through many of the threads, filter through the BS, the hecklers and the downright rude fxxxxxs and make my decision/s accordingly. I am fortunately not scared to ask questions when I have to.
Kevin

Boards arrived. Thanks Wyn! Looks to be a fun project for the new year.

Wyn-Preamp.png

Hi Wyn,
The PCBs were delivered just after 5pm this afternoon. Ten days from Aramex NY to SA including customs clearance and delivery. I have a whole bunch of resistors arriving tomorrow, and then I am going to start populating two RIAA boards - a tube based one (BigBottle JFET/Tube) and yours. Unfortunately I will have to wait until the end of January to order the opamps.
Regards, Kevin

Last edited:
A new feature- a balance control with +/- 3.8dB of adjustment has been added to the line stage due to popular demand.
The builder can choose to have mono/stereo or balance control, but not, presently, both.
A miniature relay input selector system has also been requested and that is under consideration and may be added.

Attachments

• balance.png
    balance.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
BOM for the balance function.
Access to this page has been denied.
An additional add on board is required, or the user can manually wire the components.

Note: the 1.5k and 3.6K Rs replace R77/78 (9.1k) and R83/84 (5.11k) in the original line stage.
The balance board is assembled and wired between the Left mono and Right mono pads- left to left and right to right. Mono will still work, (i.e. a switch can short left mono to right mono) but it will disable the balance function if activated.

Attachments

• balanceschem.PNG
    balanceschem.PNG
    18.2 KB · Views: 442