RIAA preamps versus real loads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes I know what Impedance is, but I don't understand the reason of your question.
This amp is supposed to drive a high input impedance preamp as from the second LT1792 stage, so output impedance can never be an issue.
You could still insert an additional 100R resistor at the output to match the interconnect's impedance.
But anyhow, here is the output impedance for this Riaa preamp using the LT1792.

Hans

I guess you know, I'm using AVC and don't like high output impedance from source.

Felipe

Good point.
Assuming an offset voltage of 3mV max, this translates into 300mV max at the output, so when your preamp following this Riaa preamp is DC coupled, you will need an output cap.
When also implementing the cooling, you could discard the 4.7uF because less than 0.5uA will flow into the Cart, which IMO is acceptable.
But with two additional resistors and one cap, you can even reduce this to >100nA through the Cart.
My feeling is always that the best cap is no cap, so better to leave this 4.7uF.

Am I wrong or this is a DC servo?

Am I wrong or this is a DC servo?

What's in a name, it's a bit of a philosophical issue.

According to Wikipedia it is:
Servo is an automatic device that uses error-sensing negative feedback to correct the action of a mechanism.
In that way it fulfils IMO the definition by automatically doing error sensing of DC output voltage caused by offset and correcting the unwanted DC current through the Cart by negative feedback.

But in Audio a servo is usually referred to as a way to reduce the DC output voltage of a amplifying stage, which is definitely not the case here, so I agree with MvdG.

Hans

What's in a name, it's a bit of a philosophical issue.

According to Wikipedia it is:
Servo is an automatic device that uses error-sensing negative feedback to correct the action of a mechanism.
In that way it fulfils IMO the definition by automatically doing error sensing of DC output voltage caused by offset and correcting the unwanted DC current through the Cart by negative feedback.

But in Audio a servo is usually referred to as a way to reduce the DC output voltage of a amplifying stage, which is definitely not the case here, so I agree with MvdG.

Hans

Interesting, the way I looked at it you were eliminating a loop for DC rather than adding a loop, but in the way you describe it, you can also see it as adding a loop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.