RIAA preamps versus real loads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perhaps some of you would find this of interest.
It's an early (simplified) RIAA opamp design which includes models for cartridge/pickup arm behaviors etc. based on measurements of a specific cartridge- the Miyajima Madake.
The full preamp, somewhat modified, extended and improved, is on a thread in this forum.
it also includes a Laplace RIAA model, A weighting measurement networks etc.

Can you put URL for the full preamp thread or the name of the thread? The characters here are impossible to read.

Here's the schematic and FR curve.

Attachments

• Hans_RIAA-1792-FR.jpg
    Hans_RIAA-1792-FR.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 94
Yes, the circuit is quite complex. Each section has a part to play, perhaps sometimes not as obviously as it might appear.
If anyone is interested I would be happy to perform a small "design review" over a series of posts explaining the partitioning and location of the pole-zero constellation, the rationale for the gain distributions and choice of opamps, the effect of the choices on distortion, RIAA accuracy, power supply rejection, and overload characteristics. It would also include the post power supply LCRC filtering and the design elements of the DC feedback loop and how it is incorporated into the RIAA.
For example the design is NOT simply a fixed gain block followed by an RIAA curve stage. the interstage filter is part of the DC feedback stage and part of the extended RIAA characteristic etc.
I would also include the cartridge arm modelling, the A weighting measurement network and other minutiae.
It could also include details of the incorporated first order warp filter design that replaces a conventional "rumble filter".
Below is the measured result from one RIAA channel of a preamp built with non-selected off the shelf components.
This is a typical curve for the several boards that I have constructed and measured, and they deviate very little from it.
The measurements are made with the RME ADI-2PRO FS R plus REW. The gain was compared against an ideal RIAA gain template in a spread sheet and "interpolated" between points- which results in the odd small dips. The HF ripple is due to the converter transfer functions. The RME box DAC is used to source the signal, and the ADC is used to measure it

Attachments

• RCHRIAAavesmooth32mDBp-p.JPG
    RCHRIAAavesmooth32mDBp-p.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Here's the schematic and FR curve.
The only thing i don't see is how that kind of loading and antiriaa + cart antiresonance is needed .I can''t see Hans cart model advantage either.

If i use the simplest simulation model i gave you a while ago, the simple 600mH series with 1350ohm model instead of that very complex model and Patrick Turner's anti riaa on a normal preamp like mine i get 0.8db of resonance at 10.8khz with normal 47k//430pf loading and normal equalization network...which is very close to your complex models.

If i'm using the same simple antiriaa and simplest shure model with Hans loading and preamp i get worst possible results over 100hz.

Not commenting on the noise specs which are brilliant in your schematics, but the FR are really unconvincing for me because the normal antiriaa which was built and measured by me years ago and found to be extremely linear and simplest Shure model plus normal loading or more advanced Hans model give almost exact FR response .

You have all combinations explored and their FR graphs below .

Attachments

• Turnerantiriaa, normal shure, normal loading EFTpreamp100meg.png
    Turnerantiriaa, normal shure, normal loading EFTpreamp100meg.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Turner antiriaa, hans cart, efpreamp100megHz.png
    Turner antiriaa, hans cart, efpreamp100megHz.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Patrickantiriaa-Hans cartmodel-EFtaylor preamp.png
    Patrickantiriaa-Hans cartmodel-EFtaylor preamp.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 87
  • turner antiriaa, hans cart, hans preamp.png
    turner antiriaa, hans cart, hans preamp.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 83
  • normalantiriaa-carlmart model-hans loading.png
    normalantiriaa-carlmart model-hans loading.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 87
  • eftaylor Hans loading.png
    eftaylor Hans loading.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 90
  • eftaylor normal loading.png
    eftaylor normal loading.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 92
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Sorry, Hans model moved that small resonance hump around 15 khz yet the whole antiriaa, antiresonance, cart model, loading and phono preamp together get you acceptable linear response...yet if i apply Hans antiriaa, antiresonance and Hans Shure model with a normal loading to a normal preamp(and you have both EF taylor and non efTaylor) i get a hump and quite nonlinear response over 10 khz , just more linear than the simplest Shure model with Turner antiriaa. The only real problem is that Turner antiriaa measures perfectly and it was chosen also by Texas instruments in their application notes.Not sure of the original provenience of that antiriaa network, but that is simply perfect in real life.

If Hans antiriaa+ antiresonance+ advanced Shure model can only give you a fairly linear response on a highly modified preamp and unnatural loading, but cannot give you a normal response with a normal loading and normal preamp, then what do you expect from the real thing on a normal preamp ?

Believe me, i hear no weird resonances on my shure v15 type 3 on none of the 10 preamps i tried in the last years nor on other cheaper shure, phillips ... carts .
I still consider Hans cart model to be better than the simple LR model i gave you, but i don't find to be OK to modify the antiriaa network in order to give you the right FR on your preamps while a very linear anti-riaa network in real life with your same shure model on a normal preamp and loading to give non linear response.The antiriaa filter needs to be an inverse reflection of the riaa network not of the cart and its loading unless we're pretending that the whole industry used the wrong riaa network for 6 decades and that shure v15type 3 cart is the only cart ...

Attachments

• Turner Riaa, Hans cart, normal loading normal preamp.png
    Turner Riaa, Hans cart, normal loading normal preamp.png
    59 KB · Views: 65
  • Turner antiriaa, Hans cart, normalloading normal amp.png
    Turner antiriaa, Hans cart, normalloading normal amp.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 52
  • hans cartm hans antiriaa, hans model, normal preamp.png
    hans cartm hans antiriaa, hans model, normal preamp.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 54
  • NON-taylornormalpreamp-hans antiriaa, cart and normal loading.png
    NON-taylornormalpreamp-hans antiriaa, cart and normal loading.png
    66 KB · Views: 73
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.