Tiny little phono preamp on the tonearm just behind the cartridge ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's just a matter of effective arm mass plus cartridge mass vs. stylus compliance. Both need to be arranged so that the resonant frequency is about 6 to 8 Hz.
The tonearms by Dual that I've mentioned previously usually are already provided with a five wire cabling (red, green, white, blue as usual plus black for arm and shell ground). Hence modifications weren't needed with it.
Best regards!

I think especially billshurv's idea in #5 isn't necessarily much heavier than an ordinary headshell. One should be careful with it though, as it requires a tonearm with adjustable base to get the VTA right. The cartridge mounting plane is beneath the arm's axis, but usually it is higher wrt. the axis.
Best regards!

Might the ceramic caps in the headshell-mounted preamps have an adverse effect on sound quality?

At low signal levels, less effect, but they are microphonic as well as distorting, so not an ideal choice.

You can just use PPS caps though. PP would be better but are not available surface-mount as polypropylene has a very low melting point. PPS is pretty close to PP in performance, handles high temperatures, and is nowadays commonly available.

As used here in my tone-arm RIAA preamp / rumble filter:

tonearm_preamp_sm.jpg

Phono plug for scale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.