Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Tiny little phono preamp on the tonearm just behind the cartridge ?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2020, 10:53 AM   #41
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

It's just a matter of effective arm mass plus cartridge mass vs. stylus compliance. Both need to be arranged so that the resonant frequency is about 6 to 8 Hz.
The tonearms by Dual that I've mentioned previously usually are already provided with a five wire cabling (red, green, white, blue as usual plus black for arm and shell ground). Hence modifications weren't needed with it.
Best regards!
Old 17th October 2020, 01:24 PM   #42
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

sorry for late reply.
ahh Ok I was under impression and thinking that preamp module would make things heavy and to reduce weight suggested the tube sections.
Regards.
Old 17th October 2020, 02:15 PM   #43
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

I think especially billshurv's idea in #5 isn't necessarily much heavier than an ordinary headshell. One should be careful with it though, as it requires a tonearm with adjustable base to get the VTA right. The cartridge mounting plane is beneath the arm's axis, but usually it is higher wrt. the axis.
Best regards!
Old 17th October 2020, 10:17 PM   #44
egellings is offline egellings  United States
diyAudio Member

Might the ceramic caps in the headshell-mounted preamps have an adverse effect on sound quality?
Old 17th October 2020, 10:23 PM   #45
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

only if you believe they do
Old 18th October 2020, 11:35 PM   #46
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egellings View Post
Might the ceramic caps in the headshell-mounted preamps have an adverse effect on sound quality?
At low signal levels, less effect, but they are microphonic as well as distorting, so not an ideal choice.

You can just use PPS caps though. PP would be better but are not available surface-mount as polypropylene has a very low melting point. PPS is pretty close to PP in performance, handles high temperatures, and is nowadays commonly available.

As used here in my tone-arm RIAA preamp / rumble filter:

Click the image to open in full size.
Phono plug for scale.
Old 18th October 2020, 11:49 PM   #47
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Haven't we discussed this beforen?
Putting a super light phono amp inside the tonearm?
Putting a super light phono amp inside the tonearm?

4-wires, BTW.

Patrick

Tiny little phono preamp on the tonearm just behind the cartridge ?Hide this!Advertise here!