DIY electronic player for Edison Amberol 4-minte cylinders?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any plans or build logs for DIY cylinder players? I would be interested in a simple playback device that could be connected to my amplifier, but I have no idea how complex this would be. I've see a number of inexpensive linear tracking turntables for sale on Craigslist. Could any of these be modified to play a cylinder? Thanks in advance for your comments!

Are you talking early 20th cent. Edison wax cylinders ?
I have a late 20,s Edison ( UK version ) dictating machine complete with mouth horn.

Yes it could be done and I think I saw somewhere a long time ago that somebody had done exactly this.

But its no "5 minute job " and you need engineering abilities as well as electronic ability.

Thanks for all the comments! That Archeophone is fully featured version of what I had envisioned. But it does seem like quite a bit more work than I'd be willing and able to devote. Those electric reproducers for Edison phonographs seem like an excellent alternative... Hmmm...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.