Dual EDS1000 and EDS1000-2 direct drive motor

Hi Kay, the outboard motor stands outside of the turntable and drives the platter with a nylon string from its pulley.
Was that your question?
Well, if you drive your platter by means of a string or belt, this ain't no DD. And it is hard to believe you're using a DD motor for this arrangement, unless the motor pulley's diameter equals the platter's, i.e. the motor runs at the same speed as the platter.
Best regards!

Well, if you drive your platter by means of a string or belt, this ain't no DD. And it is hard to believe you're using a DD motor for this arrangement, unless the motor pulley's diameter equals the platter's, i.e. the motor runs at the same speed as the platter.
Best regards!

Dear Kay, perhaps I was not clear.
The Scheu I had was using a DC brushless motor that works on the same principle as many DD motors.
Check out the Scheu turntables if you want to know more but I cant recommend them.

Best regards!

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Dear Kay, perhaps I was not clear.
The Scheu I had was using a DC brushless motor that works on the same principle as many DD motors.
Check out the Scheu turntables if you want to know more but I cant recommend them.

Best regards!

Perhaps Kay is assuming that since you used a DD motor, that they ALL run at platter speed, and not capable of any higher speed, such as for instance, 300RPM.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
"By experience (the day before yesterday we've had Germany's highest measured temperatures in our small village) I'd claim quite the contrary ;).
Best regards!"
wiseoldtech in next to New York's weather...30 degrees celsius is just about their max temp they ever see there...so maybe germanium transistors are doing great over there :) Last 10 summers or so we had sometimes 50 degrees celsius in the sunny parts of my country...

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Hello,
Can I ask for some advice ?
I'm thinking about building a turntable using an EDS-1000-2 drive unit and I would like to use a heavier acrylic or MDF platter. It's weight is about 4 kg. Is that OK with the bearing ?

Thanks

The original Dual platter, along with the weight of the "under platter" which is part of the direct drive motor, has been tuned (in the electronics) by Dual to achieve extremely low wow/flutter already.
This fine German engineering really should not be "messed with" by modifications such as you speak of.
The only thing I've done is to add a touch of heatsink grease to the several power transistors to improve their thermal contact to the aluminum frame and provide some additional reliability.
Also I've cleaned and added Super Lube with PTFE to the shaft and single ball bearing assembly under the spindle to insure silent rotation.
Of course, the electronics benefit from replacing the electrolytics and PS snubber caps after decades of aging.
Leave those small tantalum capacitors alone, unless they're obviously defective - I haven't see a bad one yet.

The EDS works very well with a heavy Platter...

Attachments

• IMG_2033.jpg
    IMG_2033.jpg
    576.1 KB · Views: 307