Old vinyl records problem voicing "s"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Could be cartridge mistracking. Essess are fairly energetic and are often the first sign of mistracking. If you're not at close to the upper limit for cartridge downforce, it might be worth increasing it and checking alignment too.

Of course it could be the the groove has been damaged by previous mistracking adventures or has gunge in it, was pressed that way or even recorded that way.

The biggest reduction in sibilance I ever got was to make sure that the downforce was at the upper end of what the cartridge was rated for, and that biasing on the arm was correct, particularly if the problem was toward the inner grooves.

As luck may have it I managed to find my original book by Hi-Fi Choice (UK) on cartridges which includes the Shure V15.

Its extremely detailed all tests being done with the (then ) latest equipment including a computer so I have a full list of everything related to this cartridge including audio listening tests auditioned by the "golden ears " of the time.

To quote just one small piece of information --"while the treble had a slightly lispy quality" .

It was tested at= 1gm and 250pf.
Costs=£260

Even comes with 2 graphs , a cheaper model (then ) the Shure ML140HE was preferred.

So you don't mean old Original records but new records of the old recordings -IE-RE-issues probably "digitally remastered " something that doesn't go down well on many music websites.

Digitally remastered in the early days was not done well at all complete loss of original atmosphere -cold-hard not musical.

I have original ,50,s LP,s by Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran. etc etc and they are superior to many later digital versions .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.