NEW Rega Planar 3 Turntable stylus picking up noise from motor when on

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Then the internal board is like a Linn Valhalla board and motor NOT a quartz PPL controlled or a variation ( and there are many ) --like using a 3 phase AC motor as a DC driven one via a crystal control .

Its an AC synchronous motor then its board provides a drive frequency -IE- no feedback or servo control ?

As an AC motor (brushless ) can be used in a DC situation (3 phase ) I can see where arguments can arrive .

What I am trying to get at is IF this board supplies a frequency to the motor and if it is faulty OR in the wrong position this can cause radiation.

The deck is now back from the HiFi shop, and hum free (from the motor), even on loud settings, and as close as you can get to the motor with the arm.

The shop set up my deck on their system, and they too could hear a slight hum (at loudish levels) the closer the arm/cartridge got to the motor - the closer, the louder the hum. On my setup I have one of the speakers pretty close to the deck (due to room constraints), so I notice it quite a lot when you take the needle off at the end of a record on a reasonable volume. The guy in the shop then told me this was quite normal for Rega, and that most customers don't notice it, or just live with it. This could be because their speakers are a bit further away, so it's not discreetly audible, or it's not noticeable when playing a record. I already knew that other Regas did the same as mine, because a friend who has the same deck and cartridge (Rega Elys 2) found the same thing when he went looking for it like I described.
The guy in the shop said Rega don't screen their cartridges (something I'd heard on some forums), as they thought it detracted from the sound quality.

The shop has now fitted a Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge, and the hum has now gone, and I'm happy with the sound I'm getting - so happy days, and I'll get on with listening to some records now.

I have to say I don't recal my old Rega Planar 3 from the 1980s having any issues, but perhaps I was less fussy then. However this deck (brand new) had an initial problem with motor noise/clicking, then this hum when the cartridge got closer to the motor. So 2 problems I have had to resolve - The first with a motor fix from SRM Tech, then the latter with anew cartridge. For the money I paid for my Rega deck and cartridge I have to say I'm not impressed. I went for another one as I was so happy with my original, but I think I'd try out the competition first next time.

Regards, Rob

Thanks for coming back and telling us the result Rob my intuition tells me the motors in those with noise are not of the highest order .

There again its not a top end deck but my old Dais (Nottingham -UK ) never had that problem but the motor is totally enclosed and looks expensive and its still running just kept the oil topped up in the platter bearing.

There are plenty of excellent old top end decks out there in the UK --worth a look.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.