Share your Ortofon Red experiences please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered and received an Ortofon Red Verso today. Since it was the only Red version the shop I prefer had (and I needed instant gratification). I did however try to find out of that is the version I could fit to my RB250 arm. Since it looked do-able. I got the verso. Guess what? I won't fit the bolt is too short. No biggy since I can just unscrew the top plate and fit longer ones.

Here is my rant though. By using google I could not find a single sentence which arms the verso is suitable for. ( configuration for bottom headshells is the only explanation )

So now when someone googles at least they can find: "Do not order the Verso for your RB250 unless you want to diy". I ordered m2.5 length 6mm and 8mm now. Since the bolt that comes with it is 4mm.

Rant and info over. I'm curious about the experiences from other owners of the Ortofon Red.

Last edited:
Interesting.

A few months ago a friend bought a Quintet Blue and enthused. Not knowing anything about these I went to the Ortofon site and was struck by the prominent note with respect to Rega tonearms. I see the same note on the Red Verso page:
2M Red Verso

Oddly enough, there's no mention of the screw length problem.

And whilst in their FAQs Ortofon advise against pairing their "black" models with Nude Shibata diamonds with Rega arms (because the necessary precision for VTA adjustment cannot be made with spacers) they fail to mention this on the "black" model pages.

Hi mhenschel,

I did notice that text. And added a 4mm spacer...

Attachments

• IMG20200523164606.jpg
    IMG20200523164606.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 262
The Red is my goto cartridge when affordable and simple are the main objectives. It sounds very alive, which I like. The last two I installed on a Tesla (after which the Regas are modeled) and a Sony direct drive table. On both installation was easy and straightforward.

I have om 10

Which is the same as ortofon red as far as I know internal is same. It's also said to be a moving iron design.

I have bunch of carts and om 10 is one of my favorite. If can get the sra right..quite sensitive to good sra settings (I struggled with it)

The character is is good seperation, wide and deep staging , natural and good amount of texture. Only thing I don't like it requires a fair bit of cleaning.. The stylus likes to attract dust
I might get a lp gear vivid line for the replacement stylus

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I had a Black and when installing it, one of the pins pulled out. End of cartridge. However, one of the guys here on diyaudio told me the black stylus (Shibata) worked with the Red so I ordered one and yep, it worked perfectly. So it seems the styli on these Ortofon carts are interchangeable.

BTW I emailed a Ortofon aNd explained what had happened and asked if they could sell me just the cart minus the needle since the needle was about €275 IIRC and they refused.

The reason the pin came out the rear of the car is that it is NOT KEYED INTO THE PLASTIC.

With the greatest respect, how dumb is that?

@bonsai
Interesting. I wonder if that's true for the Quintet series too?
Part of the OP was the "brain fart" w.r.t. mounting screw length for Rega arms despite Ortofon making particular efforts in notes about those arms. And it turns out they had a "hidden" note about the unsuitability of Black level cartridges to Rega arms. I take it you aren't using a Rega arm.

How did the cartridge respond to fine tuning azimuth etc?

Hi guys

I also use Ortofon.. Usually I use Turbo 3 MC on my Turntable.. which is an old Revox B795 Linear Tracking but I already broke two of them and over the time it's too expensive to brake the needle, as I had to throw away the complete head. Moving Coil is no way to change the needle.

So I ordered 2M Bronze. Good Sound wide and full of strength, but the Timbre of Super High were missing to some point *it's not a problem of the cartridge itself.. it's also my ears". The Stage of the music is good, but Ortofon has better for not too much money more. 2MBlack. I didn't ordered the Verso Version *Bronze* because I didn't see it.. So when the Cartridge came I had to modify to fix it to the Tangential Arm and holder..
Done it sounded very good.. Since the Head of Bronze and Black are the same I didn't need to modify the black one.. just exchanging the needle was enough.
The black is very good and comes very close to TD3 MC..but it don't surpass it even it's about 200Euro more expensive than the TD3.
I have good digital weight gauge where you can measure 1/1000 of a gramm.. mine adjusted 1.8Gramms. Otherwise the needle jumps tracks.

That's my five cents to this..

Last edited:
Isn't there also an Ortofon Red cartridge without the »Verso« badge and hence without the studs? Why didn't you buy this one and attach it with screws of suitable length? This would also eliminate your screwdriver issue that I can follow for sure.
Best regards!
Edit: The difference between the prizes for both doesn't justify those two tiny and meaningless studs, imho.

Bas,
I like the 2M series. I'm on my third stylus in the Blue downstairs. (Kind of like the 3000 mile oil change - cheap insurance)
I installed the Red upstairs on my Franken-Rega and after getting the VTA set (not micrometer sensitive by any means) I'm happy. Not quite as resolving as it's big brother, but a good match for the system. And, as you said, there is an easy upgrade path.
Karl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.