Share your Ortofon Red experiences please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at getting a Rega Planar 2 and upgrading the Carbon cartridge with the Ortofon 2M, but the lack of anti-skating adjustment gives me pause. I don't want to pony up another $300+ just for a Rega Planar 3 tone arm with anti-skating adjustments. I saw a guy on YouTube who was able to adjust a Planar 1 by breaking the anti skating magnet glue bond and adjusting it with blue tack until he got it perfected using a test LP and then re-gluing the magnet when he was finished. Sounds doable, but not really feasible considering this is an entry level audiophile TT.

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
@bonsai
Interesting. I wonder if that's true for the Quintet series too?
Part of the OP was the "brain fart" w.r.t. mounting screw length for Rega arms despite Ortofon making particular efforts in notes about those arms. And it turns out they had a "hidden" note about the unsuitability of Black level cartridges to Rega arms. I take it you aren't using a Rega arm.

How did the cartridge respond to fine tuning azimuth etc?

Sorry just seen this now. OK - setup was easy and it sounds fantastic. I’m using an SME 3009 II

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Manufacturing defect...they should give you a new one or refund right?

I explained what had happened to the guy (Bentsen IIRC) but he refused. So I can only assume that the pins are not keyed As standard. I still have the cart and the pins so if someone from Ortofon is listening, I’m quite happy to ship it back to the factory for analysis.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.