Cardas quality control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Last week i got a Cardas 5 pin din phono plug from a well known audio parts seller. Not the economy model but the expensive one.
See the photo in the attachment. Could this be a Chinese copy? Will send a photo to the Cardas company too.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• 20200522_092351.jpg
    20200522_092351.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 365
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Cardas company received my email before the start of their working day but no reaction yet.
So also send a mail to Parts Connexion for some clarification. With the 25 % corona discount it is still 58$ and before arriving at my doorstep there are additional costs as well. Greetings, Eduard
P,s the other photo is a 6 pin Lemo connector which is cheaper than the Cardas but cannot be used unless you have a fully diy tone arm

Attachments

• 20200522_092351.jpg
    20200522_092351.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 20200423_143310.jpg
    20200423_143310.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 324
Parts Connexion have a limited warranty and are only a supplier of goods made by other companies so only the manufacturers warranty applies.

Based in Ontario they do state they do business under US/Canadian law and therefore come under US restrictions of export to certain countries.
That SHOULD imply the manufacturers are US based and come under US export restrictions/sanctions being manufactured there .

Cardas (on their website) specifically state THEIR products are manufactured in the USA and I like the look of them, thats Cardas USA which makes me think ---is there a China/Hong Kong/Malaysia/Thailand branch for others ?

As Parts Connection openly state--"we source our components from various manufacturers " that could be looked on in a different light .

My own feeling would be --buy direct from Cardos but that's just my opinion/

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Parts Connexion would not exist if Cardas would start selling their products to private customers.
It does happen in Asia that even official dealers are selling copied goods now and then. I have heard a story about Lowepro camera bags in Vietnam by a trusted source. Even an official representative from Germany had a hard time to find out which of the two was the copy.
We will wait for the answer from Cardas company. Anyhow this product should not have been distributed into the global market.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s probably the way they are produced suggest that there will be more out there or this one just slipped through. For a product with this pricetag it should not happen!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What's wrong with that cardas plug, looks identical to my 5 year old part bought from uk supplier, same offset screw hole.

Hello,
At work i use tools like a caliper every day and this article would be rejected in my company. The hole in the aluminium housing is bigger than it should be, that is ok. But the threaded hole in the ptfe should be in the center of the hole in the aluminium.
The threading in the ptfe will be easily damaged because it looks like something that doesnt fit. The aluminium will prevent the bolt to be entered like it should.
Greetings, eduard

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
So, this thread is dedicated to some perceived cosmetic issues of a part not normally seen when in use?

Hello,
It can be called cosmetic because it saw it before even trying to fit the screw. It is 1/4 inch * 72 screw in a soft material so the thread will not survive if the screw cannot enter smoothly.
It is all about functionality which should be at a higher level considering the price.
But we will wait for Cardas to answer my email. But it looks like tolerances during manufacturing are a bit at random.
Greetings, Eduard

The hole is slightly offset so that the act of tightening the screw pulls the plastic insert snug against the metal body, so it doesnt rattle.

I suggest if you want a better solution, engineered to broadcast standards that you use Lemo sockets.

Cardas is a cable branding company, were you seriously expecting engineering precision from a company selling magic beans?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Partsconnexion offered me a refund and i told them i would try to drill a new hole. But i needed the plug this weekend.
In the attachment you see a photo of the engraved logo from the cardas website.
The engraving on my plug.
The original hole.
The one i made with a hand held Makita.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200526-180602_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200526-180602_Chrome.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20200526_181252.jpg
    20200526_181252.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 155
  • 20200526_181418.jpg
    20200526_181418.jpg
    898.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200526_181502.jpg
    20200526_181502.jpg
    838.2 KB · Views: 140
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Got an email from partsconnexion they offer me a full refund and the ones i have in stock look identical to the one i have.
Still no reaction from Cardas company so send them a second email mentioning this thread so they can check their product.
Greetings, Eduard

Good of them to offer a full refund , if that last photo showing no manufacturers emblem is the one sent to you then its logical its a copy and not OEM.

If that is the case you had every right to persevere with this.

It is illegal in the USA to sell a product that carries an ( American Registered ) trade mark but is a copy by another manufacturer unless the other manufacturer has a License to do so.

You might not get an answer from Cardas big companies have good legal departments and any admittance of liability could be used against them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.