Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.
Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2020, 02:42 PM   #341
Bigman80 is offline Bigman80  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty38 View Post
A few pics of mine so far...

Case:

Click the image to open in full size.

External transformer and MC loading plugs

Base drilled for ventilation:

Superb stuff again.

Loads of good looking builds starting to appear now.
Old 24th May 2020, 05:14 PM   #342
Stanney2017 is offline Stanney2017  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Oliver.

Its been a nice project.
Old 25th May 2020, 02:46 AM   #343
mhenschel is offline mhenschel  Canada
diyAudio Member

@scotty38
It's a real beaut.

I have some questions if you don't mind my asking:

1. What's the power cable cover and how did you fasten the connector and strain relief to it?

2. What is the power connector at the signal box? A form of XLR?

3. Love the power switch (and that it mounts in a round hole). What switch is that?

4. How did you mount the phono jacks onto the wood case? I don't see any visible means of support.

On that last, back before time began I had the problem of mounting simple uninsulated jacks that (I was told) had to be insulated from the chassis. My solution was to mount the jacks on unclad epoxy board and then punch larger corresponding holes in the chassis panel with a Greenlee punch. A couple of bolts secured the jack assembly to the panel. I only made one (small and inconsequential) slip up in the array of 10 jacks. Pretty good for a centre punch and a hand-held drill.

Signal grounding in accordance with best practices was then possible. I think I got that right.
Today I have a set of Eichmann's brilliant new "Classic Harmony" outside nut jacks to do the job with one 10mm hole per jack. But I don't think they'd work in 19mm hardwood!
Old 25th May 2020, 08:22 AM   #344
Scotty38 is offline Scotty38  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@mhenschel - thank you!

Let me try and answer the questions....

1. The power cable is made from stripped existing cables and then heatshrinked along its length and then covered in the ABS sleeving from HiFi Collective. The strain relief is just a rubber boot I robbed from an RCD I removed from a water pump (The RCD meant I couldn't run the pump off a timer, as it "tripped" each time the power cut, so I replaced it with a normal plug). Sleeving:

ABS Expandable Sleeving (acoustic dampener) | Hifi Collective

2. The connector is a multipole Aviation connector, 6 way:

TP20 Multipole Aviation Connector 250 volt 7-15A Gold Plated Contacts 2 - 6 Pin | eBay

3. The switch is actually square behind the front and is one I "robbed" from an old unused mains extension I had in the workshop. Cannot tell you any more than that I'm afraid.

4. The phonos are mounted using the normal nuts that they come with, the same way as usual. Looking from the rear they are recessed into the woodwork, the recess being maybe 6/7mm wider in diameter than the plugs but but deep enough to allow the threaded part to poke through enough to take the nuts as normal. There is a second hole, drilled in the centre of the recess for the threaded part if that makes sense. I'll try and take a closer picture... pictures and words.....

Hope that helps but if not shout up and I'll try again
Old 25th May 2020, 12:32 PM   #345
mhenschel is offline mhenschel  Canada
diyAudio Member

@scotty38
That was informative. Thanks.

Impressive drilling precision for the jacks. Forstner bits? Plunge router?
Old 25th May 2020, 12:52 PM   #346
Scotty38 is offline Scotty38  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks and have to say the woodwork and the drilling of it wasn't done by me. That was done by Ant of BTE Designs. The rest is all my bodgery though :-)
Old 26th May 2020, 08:27 AM   #347
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Gave my donor chassis a cosmetic update. This is where I'll be putting the Bigbottle Phonostage in. When just painting...the inconsistency from one part to the other was unbearable..could not get it looking good. Because of the hammerite-isch qualities...So it would have dark streaks from the brush. Then I thought...what if. I'm quite happy with the result. Pity about the chips in the frontpanel...not sure there is a fix. Perhaps a black marker...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20200526101947.jpg (49.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20200525215058.jpg (87.1 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Bas Horneman; 26th May 2020 at 08:33 AM.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:40 AM   #348
Bigman80 is offline Bigman80  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Horneman View Post
Gave my donor chassis a cosmetic update. This is where I'll be putting the Bigbottle Phonostage in. When just painting...the inconsistency from one part to the other was unbearable..could not get it looking good. Because of the hammerite-isch qualities...So it would have dark streaks from the brush. Then I thought...what if. I'm quite happy with the result. Pity about the chips in the frontpanel...not sure there is a fix. Perhaps a black marker...
Looks fine to me!

How ot sounds is all that matters Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.
Old 26th May 2020, 08:47 AM   #349
Bas Horneman is offline Bas Horneman  Netherlands
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How ot sounds is all that matters
That is the most important factor.
Old 28th May 2020, 02:20 PM   #350
sebmeb is offline sebmeb
diyAudio Member

Default 861c - so small

How on earth is it possible to solder on this tiny baby.?

Is there a secret or special technic?

Bigbottle Phonostage Builders thread.Hide this!Advertise here!