Revox B77 MKII slowing problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks so much to get me in the community. I wish all of you and the human being overcoming the struggle against the corona virus. I'm a medical doctor (Cardiovascular surgeon) in Istanbul. Recently I've begun in interesting with vintage reel to reel tape recordings and bought some of them from second hand sellers. My problem is, one of my devices (Revox B77 MK II) slows down both while recording and playback when exceeding the half of the reel band. Is there anyone experiencing such a problem and can help me. Thank you.

Hi omerisik!

I'm not an expert in reel to reel tape recorder servicing, but at least I can give your post a nudge. :)

Slowing down under load could be caused by a worn or loose drive belt. Removing the face plate of the recorder may give you access to the drive belt which connects the motor to the tape spindle. If the problem lies in the motor itself, you would have to seek professional help.

A service manual may be of assistance:

STUDER REVOX B77 MK2 SM Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts

Documents, presets, manuals Revox B77 MKII - Audiofanzine

The Revox machines are direct drive, the capstan motor shaft is the capstan, no belts to go bad. The rubber roller that holds the tape against the capstan may be old and hard and not gripping the tape very well. Rubber oxidizes and becomes hard and brittle with age. Possibly application of some rubber roller cleaner, like you use on LaserJet rubber rollers, might help.

Hi, & Welcome!

If you're not already aware of them, you should check out Nagravox.com in Australia - Peter there specializes in Revox parts & repair service, and seems very knowledgeable with these machines. The first order of business seems to be the replacement of Motor & Suppressor capacitors with the correct, good quality parts (i.e. - bought from him:D). I can't yet offer a testimonial as to the success of this approach, but hopefully will be able to soon: assorted kits for two of my Revox machines are on their way to me as we speak! I can - however - say that he is very personable and willing to help with restoration of these fine machines.

Please let us know how you get on with repair of your B77!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.