Electric wiring Thorens 165, multi-meter use during reparation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Accidentally I damaged a Thorens 165 record player. During repair of that part of the tone-arm I accidentally cut the wiring, so I had to rewire.

Also I wanted to swap the positon of the RCA-outlet of the backside so the channels would be in the same position of the amp. Now I had to desolder those RCA-plugs and resolder after swapping them from left to right, the red plug on the leftside (right audio channel), the black on the rightside (left audio channel, plug outlet on the rightside, as on my amp).
Now I am not a pro and I am learning to solder now but I want to controll the work before I can go further.
I don't want to do a lot to find out later that I made a mistake earlier on.

So I soldered these RCA-plugs after swapping their position in the wooden holes at the back. And now I want to be sure that this connection works with a Mulit-meter. One RCA plug ( I think the red one) gave a reading of 20 or more volts, the other hardly...again I am a rookie at this stuff, I want to learn. So is it normal or do I have to resolder the other plug? If I am doin' it wrong...please tell me cause this is all new for me.

I just want to be able to do this repair because of restoring a good recordplayer but also to be able to do this myself properly. So how do I use the multi-meter to check if my repair worked out? And what would be a proper volt-reading of RCA-connection from the wire-chassis to the RCA outlets on the back?

(The RCA-outlets are by the way not original, originally Thorens had a RCA-wire (grey) that went from the
bottom-plate to the amplifiere. The RCA-plugs here are a modification of later times '80ies/'90ies or later)

Adding picture to explain

Although I put in a picture, it apparently got lost in the posting proces.
I try again....

Attachments

• RCA-plugs Thorens.jpg
    RCA-plugs Thorens.jpg
    670.9 KB · Views: 94
Before the Thorens was damaged it had a fantastic sound so there was absolutely no
negative effects on the listening experience as far as the position of the AC-line.
Close or not, there was no disturbence whatsoever.

Maybe If I would have done that modding, I would have separated it more, ok but I bought it like that and it played like a dream.

I just broke some stuff, repaired it and now because of the cabeling between the amp and the Thorens I chose to swapp the RCA-chassis parts so they would correspond in colour with the outlets on the amp.

I did it because I had to do a lot of repair anyway and I wanted to learn how to solder and relay the connections. I didn't really wanted to do all this but because of the accidental damadge I just saw this as an opportunity to learn from it. Main reason?

A few years ago I had to pay a lot of money for a repair for a tone-arm. A simple
rewiring cost me then 1/3 of the price of my turntable. Why did I accept that?
I was not able to do it then and a lot of repair-spots were closed down. Cause everyone
was downloading and the Vinyl-hype came two years later. But I vowed I would do it
only once and after that I would do this kind of repair myself. So hence this story.

I want to thank everyone for their reactions, please send more because you make me
learn more about this.

By the way the official colours are white = left channel, red = right channel. Sometimes
black substitutes for white, ie black = left.

Ultimately this all stems from a failure by the industry to standardize on a stereo connector to replace RCA when stereo era began. A missed opportunity I feel, Both RCA and TRS style connectors are crude and flawed, and using three separate connections to a turntable is the unsatisfactory norm still, left, right and grounding wire. (small rant over!)

Galu, I know what you are saying but that would involve the rest of the repairjob,
wich is now temp. on hold, and after that rebuilding everything...to put on the record
to find out that it does not work.

And again...this is a learning experience for me, I accepted that I may have to redo stuff but I want to learn about connections, soldering, testing. And its not that difficult.
Its just that I look for some basic info to be able to do these kind of minor repairs in
the future. But I appreciate your answer. Thank You.

Ultimately this all stems from a failure by the industry to standardize on a stereo connector to replace RCA when stereo era began. A missed opportunity I feel, Both RCA and TRS style connectors are crude and flawed, and using three separate connections to a turntable is the unsatisfactory norm still, left, right and grounding wire. (small rant over!)

Mark I could not agree with you more...I alway's asked myself how it is possible that in the past for more than a 100 years the whole electronic industry, technicians, the whole technical world were messing about with black and brown and white and grey, unclear running order etc. Only now technicians are colouring electronic wires and parts.
How much frustration for mechanics has been
caused by only one thing "colouring the wires propperly and preferably standardised".
To me its a mistery why such a dangerous technic involving electricity did not have warningcolours from the start...its mindboggling.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.