Break in phono with a cd player

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That would mostly be bass input to the phono preamp. You have to inverse RIAA a line signal
to get a proper spectral balance for a phono preamp burn-in.
I recommend to write a CD with white noise signal. Its spectrum will resemble to a RIAA pre-emhasized pink noise, which in turn closely resembles to a general real music content. Then play it in repeat mode through a 100:1 resistive divider.

If you accept the premise that electronics parts have properties that can be 'broken-in' with an audio signal, then you must also accept the corollary premise that these same parts can be 'worn-out' with too much audio. I'm already past the 'worn-out' stage with too much reading of this thread.

Ray K

Doh! I knew we'd forgotten something obvious :)

I suppose the point is you don't want to wear the records out.

Since capacitors used for this sort of circuit don't need breaking in, yes, play the records.
However you can run some tests on a preamp via an inverse RIAA, such as distortion and frequency response measurements, before adding in the extra complication of vinyl and its imperfections.

There's also the very valid reason that you can check for thermal issues running the amp for prolonged periods while measuring/listening.

I just went through this with a DIY phono stage.

Here's what I am doing currently as I type:

I plugged my turntable straight into my laptop and recorded an album (Rush-Moving Pictures) into Audacity without any RIAA equalization or gain. The resulting sound file is very low level and played back on laptop you can barely hear it on the tiny speakers.

No reverse RIAA needed since the file is pre-RIAA.

I then loaded the sound file onto an old iPod and plugged the headphone out directly into the phono preamp at full volume and left that file on repeat for a few days.

I monitored it initially to make sure it worked and the results were a very good approximation of an album being played as if from a TT.

Note:
Be sure you only play that dedicated file (no other full range songs to avoid overloading)
I recorded the entire album as a single song.
I also had to leave the iPod on it's charger to play continuously for a couple days (~48hrs in my case).
Moving pictures was selected because I thought it was good dynamic recording with plenty of range.

Equipment used:
Behringer UCA202 usb audio interface.
Macbook Pro
Audacity
DAP (Gen. 4 iPod)
appropriate cables

Break-in necessary or not? I don't know that I want to step into that argument. But what is the harm in doing the above just in case?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I think I've posted the '77 image somewhere else on diyaudio.
Refer to posts above.

Attachments

• Inverse RIAA Lipschitz.pdf
    46.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Inverse RIAA - Audio 1977.JPG
    Inverse RIAA - Audio 1977.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 87
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.