Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Fix for FM syntheized tuner slightly off channel
Fix for FM syntheized tuner slightly off channel
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2020, 06:35 AM   #11
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej25awd View Post
...Your original problem is likely the quadrature detector not zeroed when tuned to a strong signal which was already pointed out earlier. The quadrature adjustment is SO sensitive that it is almost always never gets aligned properly off the factory. I have never seen an FM tuner that uses a quadrature detector and measure close to 0V +/- a with few mV. Time is money and factories are time sensitive, they won’t squeeze the last mV when aligning a mass market item. Tuners drift over time but the factory is the most likely culprit more than anything else. An engineer with all the time in the world working on an FM tuner is a different scenario. I fall in the latter category.
I find that the tuning slug in the main coil of my Sony tuner physically moves in the thread over time, due to low level vibration and temperature cycling
Old 1st March 2020, 08:50 PM   #12
wa2ise is offline wa2ise  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsrsb View Post
I find that the tuning slug in the main coil of my Sony tuner physically moves in the thread over time...
Many companies would put a dab of paint on the threads to keep that from happening.
Old 2nd March 2020, 12:53 PM   #13
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

I think Sony used a glue that has crumbled away over time

Fix for FM syntheized tuner slightly off channelHide this!Advertise here!