Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Apt Holman plug-in MC expansion board
Apt Holman plug-in MC expansion board
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2020, 03:06 PM   #21
georgesgiralt is offline georgesgiralt  France
diyAudio Member

Neat !
I've some SMD skill doing repair on some computer cards. I trained myself by using a small SMD soldering kit bought direct from China. Once soldered, you can watch the LED blink...
Here is the Bangood link of the product I used (I did not buy it on Bangood, there are a lot of sellers on Amazon, Aliexpress,Bangood, Ebay, etc...) but you'll have an idea of the kit I talk about... The parts on the right hand side are a real challenge ... You need proper technique to do it.
Diy smd rotating led smd components soldering practice board skill training kit Sale - Banggood.com|Shopping Francais

Last edited by georgesgiralt; 23rd May 2020 at 03:07 PM. Reason: With the link it is better ;-)
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:29 PM   #22
seanc is offline seanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesgiralt View Post
Thank you for your answer.
Oh yes, I would like to get the files ! and a shop or a list of shop having the connector (my search did not get much, but I live in France) !

I thank you again in advance !
Here's the bulk of files. Includes the gerber files for board fabrication, the Parts List w/Mouser part numbers (my choices, you may use others), spreadsheets to calculate the gain & load resistors appropriate for your cartridge, schematic and a "build notes" text file.
Apt_MC-v2_files.zip

Quote:
...I've some SMD skill doing repair on some computer cards. I trained myself by using a small SMD soldering kit bought direct from China...
Did you manage to solder the QFP-44 chip (0.8mm pin-space) on the back side? The Apt card LTC3260 chip is even smaller than that with 0.5mm pin-space, AND ... the ground connection is by under-chip pad which has to be soldered through a hole on the PCB back side (see the photos in the download files). It can be tricky to get soldered properly.
Old 24th May 2020, 07:34 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Actually, pads on the back are for identification purposes and serve as a ruler. The only chips to solder are at the front. But I've "successfully" soldered parts very fine on a computer board. I cant remember the exact spacing but I know that i was clever enough to buy more than one before making the repair... I'm more than ten years older now, so I wonder if i would be able to do it (the card was so crowded around it with very important component that I handled the hot air tube with fear...And once the faulty part removed, i did the soldering one pin at a time with some time between them.
But I was very happy to have repaired this card. So the reward was good. (and price very low compared to a new Mobo... )
Thank you VERY MUCH for your work and for sharing it !
I know what project I'll do during the summer if the lock down strikes again in France !
Have a bright and sunny day ! Stay safe.
Old 24th May 2020, 09:56 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

I forgot to tell you that if you want to train yourself to very hard SMD soldering, get a ruined disk drive electronic interface, and remove the integrated circuits, clean the pads with a damp sponge and then solder them back...
These are challenging !
The one I'm looking at has a circuit with 38 pins per side, those pins occupying 14 mm of printed board.. That's a challenge I think... ;-)
  Reply to this post

Apt Holman plug-in MC expansion boardHide this!Advertise here!