Mullard FM tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About five years ago during some web trawling I happened across a Mullard article for a homebuild (!) valve (tube) FM tuner. It was straightforward mono design RF amp/osc-IF-detector stages (no stereo decoder). I would say the year was probably "nineteen sixties" and used the modern valves we are all accustomed to.

I was fascinated, and thought I had saved the file, but it seems to have since disappeared.

It was in the same format as their project articles in the famous "Mullard Tube Circuits for Audio Amplifiers" book, however the tuner project does not appear in either the originals or the reprints of the book.

I guess it could also have been a magazine article but I'm sure it was attributed to Mullard and not just because of the valves used.

Has anyone else seen this, or have a copy or link?

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Never mind - I found it....

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 255
Hi all,
not sure when exactly Blu-glo(Simon) was going to share that article. and I was supremely curious as I'm a big vintage tuner fan, I went hunting and found it or at least a version of the article that was later pulled into the compilation he teased us with.

enjoy!
Paba

Attachments

• appendix.pdf
    203.2 KB · Views: 72
  • Mullard Band II FM tuner unit-part1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 92
  • Mullard Band II FM tuner unit-part2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 95
The 87.5-100MHz RF bandwidth makes it obsolete already, and would take quite some tweaking to fix around the aerial and oscillator coils. By modern standards the 210KHz IF bandwidth is meagre, but it would be enough to drive a decoder into about -30dB of separation. No AFC. Ratio detector plus limiter valve, so it should have good quieting.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.