Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Ladegaard
Ladegaard
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2004, 06:56 PM   #21
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by dice45
sreten,

i am not an Englisch native speaker and in German engineering terms the crititical frequency is the frenquency at which the resonance peak, the so-called resonance catastrophe is happening (at zero damping/ infinte Q of course), hence the term "super-critical damping" for positioning the lowest interesting system frequency way above the critical frequency.

So, i don't make sense, huh?
I described exactly what i meant (i re-read my post) and you obviously enjoy to split hairs on technical terms
I do not enjoy that sort of fruitless discussion; i had way more than my share of it already (particularly here@diyAudio). Back to lurking mode. Bye.

Bernhard
Some people just can't take being corrected,
when did damping start meaning tuning ?

sreten.
Old 26th October 2004, 09:04 AM   #22
peterr is offline peterr  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I finished my Ladegaard.
Some pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg totaal.jpg (40.8 KB, 754 views)
Old 26th October 2004, 09:08 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p9030009.jpg (41.5 KB, 691 views)
Old 26th October 2004, 09:10 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p9030013.jpg (35.2 KB, 650 views)
Old 26th October 2004, 09:12 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p9030015.jpg (46.3 KB, 630 views)
Old 26th October 2004, 08:44 PM   #26
livemusic is offline livemusic  Israel
diyAudio Member

Well done, Peterr!
Looks great, may be a beat heavy? Have you had a chance to measure the lateral resonance fq? What kind of wood is it?
If you want to get its best from this arm, I would suggest to try carbon fiber (damped) arm someday.
My congrats with real world project; not many of speaking here have finished with implementation.
Old 27th October 2004, 07:06 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thank you Livemusic.

It is not the lightest arm but not as heavy as it looks. Wood is much lighter than metal. (the wood I used is Meranti, simply because the DIYmarket sells these strips).
I can't measure the res freq's but according to my calculations it should be about 12Hz vertical and 3Hz horizontal. These are both within the margins that Poul Ladegaard discribes in his original article.
Yesterday I played some non flat and eccentric records and the arm seemed to have no problems with them.
Old 27th October 2004, 08:19 PM   #28
livemusic is offline livemusic  Israel
diyAudio Member

My carbon arm has above 5Hz lateral fq, and compliant Grado felt somehow uncomfortable on it, so it was replaced by D103 - much better. BTW, there was no problem with Grado tracking, the test record's tortue track did not cause any distortion, just I started to feel the sound is somewhat heavy and unnatural with rolled off hights, opposite to "effortless".
I tried five different arm of different design and materials, and the wooden "sandwich" was the worst, in terms, again, clear and effortless sound.
Good luck with your project, I'm sure you have lot of fan with it!
Old 28th October 2004, 01:29 PM   #29
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Peterr,

congrats! good job! BTW, Denon 103 would be a good match with your arm too, i would guess.

Quote:
Yesterday I played some non flat and eccentric records and the arm seemed to have no problems with them.
oh yes, you had, you just didn't notice. That the arm does not skip grooves does not mean the cartridge is happy with the lateral stylus forces it's cantilever is exposed to.

Months ago, i made experiments with lateral stylus force. I wanted to know if my mechanical linear tracker would perform as expected. I used an Orsonic side force checker and i found that a total mass load of 150+ grams will cause a set of 4 ball bearings (dia 19mm) to jam enough that the side force checker's dial needle went to full stroke. Even if the bearing are running on a knife edge. Which means that the linear tracker's bearing was perfoming far worse than that of a pivoted tonearm.
This experiment lead me to abandoning my mechanical linear tracker project and settle on a Ladegaard linear tracker too.
Old 28th October 2004, 02:00 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
congrats! good job!
Thank you Dice.
Quote:
oh yes, you had, you just didn't notice. That the arm does not skip grooves does not mean the cartridge is happy with the lateral stylus forces it's cantilever is exposed to.
What do you mean to say? That the arm is too heavy?

LadegaardHide this!Advertise here!