Old Supex cartridge needs glueing??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have bought an old Rega t/table with R200 tonearm and Supex SM100 Mk 3 Moving magnet cartridge. As I was setting it up I realised the metal part of the cartridge has come unglued? from its plastic body.

My initial thoughts are just to key both surfaces and use a superglue to reglue the metal part into its housing.

Does this sound like a good fix or are there any alternatives? It hasn't been used in years so I am assuming the glue has just dried up - I am also assuming it was glued in the first place and not just sat snuggly? Does anyone know these cartridges?

Cheers in advance

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 204
I presume you mean that the metal section has become separated from the plastic section that accepts the cartridge mounting bolts.

A photograph of the separated parts would be confirmation, but it does sound like a superglue job.

Attachments

• SM100.jpg
    SM100.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 201
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I'll try the silicone based glue route. I'm curious to know what the effects of an "unglued" cartridge would sound like. At the moment the metal part is quite firmly lodged in it's plastic housings so has no discernible movement when in use. The sound I am getting is very bright , harsh and "in your face" is the cartridge the only problem?

System is TOTEM ARRO speakers , Naim Nac62/Nap90 and orig Planar 3 with R200.

p.s. what should I look for to test if the anti-skate bias control is "dicky"?? I hear it's a common problem for the belt to break?

cheers all

Ammers

You've just bought a second hand cartridge/turntable combination.

The first thing to do would be to install a new stylus. Have you done that?

P.S. From your description, there appears to be nothing wrong with the actual cartridge body and mount - sounds like they simply lock together as you first suggested.

Account Closed
Joined 2018
You've just bought a second hand cartridge/turntable combination.

The first thing to do would be to install a new stylus. Have you done that?

P.S. From your description, there appears to be nothing wrong with the actual cartridge body and mount - sounds like they simply lock together as you first suggested.

I always use Common Sense in such a situation.
No matter what the seller states, I don't trust any "used" stylus for my records.
You simply purchase a new stylus and have "peace of mind".

In post #2, I suggested you post a photograph of the separated parts - that might help.

However, you said in post #5, "At the moment the metal part is quite firmly lodged in it's plastic housing so has no discernible movement when in use.", and I think you should be reassured by that.

The metal body on the AT95E is attached to the plastic mounting bracket by a screw (visible on the top on the attached image).

Your Supex may simply have a snap-on arrangement, but I can't find any information which confirms that.

Attachments

• AT95E.JPG
    AT95E.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 104
Photos attached everyone

Attachments

• DE6F881B-B9F7-4FEB-ADEE-19D2F8B1F8A1.jpg
    DE6F881B-B9F7-4FEB-ADEE-19D2F8B1F8A1.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 89
  • F71F33F6-59FA-44FE-89C7-2E0B9A940DEA.jpg
    F71F33F6-59FA-44FE-89C7-2E0B9A940DEA.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 94
  • FBA151F3-C361-4EAE-9532-C4E24F793104.jpg
    FBA151F3-C361-4EAE-9532-C4E24F793104.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 617119FF-EECE-42FB-A5F0-1E3DE029861B.jpg
    617119FF-EECE-42FB-A5F0-1E3DE029861B.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 82
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Yes, Galu, I tend to agree.
Playing around with old obsolete cartridges is a silly waste of time and money.
If generic replacement styli are even available, the quality and resulting performance is unknown.
And if even "new old stock" is found, the eleastic suspension is likely deteriorated.
So why bother? - why chance things? - why play around?

And I don't care what the die-hard fanatics have to spew regarding their "prized" old Shures, Stantons, Pickerings and such.....

The wide range and known performance of the Audio Technica line is a much better bet.

Yes wiseoldtech!

The replacement stylus to which I linked is simply a generic stylus of unknown quality and has an unremarkable 0.7 mil conical tip.

A brand spanking new cartridge with an elliptical tip is the better choice (provided the anti-skating is working that is!).

Supex Sm100 Mk III stylus
Hello everyone, this is my first post.
So I had a bit of a win today. My best and most favourite cartridge is the Supex SM100 MkIII, and for a long time I've been scouring the interwebs trying to find a replacement stylus that is within my budget. Today I discovered that the generic stylus I ordered for my Shure M75e type 2 cartridge (N75ed or N75b) fits my Supex and I am just as happy with the sound as I was with the Supex smm/5 stylus I previously ordered online for 45 euro plus postage, as opposed to about $25Au delivered. I hope this helps anyone else who has a Supex tucked away in a cupboard because they couldn't afford to buy the original stylus.
Happy listening.

You might ant to try a little blu-tack to see if a complaint glue is suitable and would dampen the cart and is easily reversable?
Also use a non acid cure silicon if you go that route, I'd be a little bit worried about the acetic acid corroding things, maybe?.
Maybe a little hot melt might be best?

regards
james

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.