Ultimate diy Phono Pre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Account Closed
Joined 2010
My hope for my final MM setup is likely to be total heresy to many as will be a phantom powered headamp in the turntable directly to an ADC. Minimal analog circuitry and most of the heavy lifting done in DSP.
All the well known professional recording sound cards, and i mean ALL of THEM have some sort of compressor (or soft compression characteristic) embedded into the preamps before ADC.The phono preamp is the one that needs it the most of all preamps, otherwise the full scale dynamic needed requires a minimum of +-25v supply rails and i'm not aware of any low noise op-amp and reasonable slew rate to work there with a low impedance feedback network, nor an ADC to take it ...The SNR of a phono cartridge + vinyl noise+ vinyl dynamic don't allow for a headamp to work within any ADC input range without any sort of compression.I think we had this discussion in a few other topics including the new design developed by Scott Wurcer which aimed at this soft compression aspect right from the start.I don't know the following of that project as i wasn't here for half a year , i don't think you're going to get over this problem easily.

Account Closed
Joined 2010
I'll be using an ADC for sure. I'd love some actual evidence of this problem of soft compression rather than FUD.
I won't bother show you anything, until you show me any evidence for the REAL digital RIAA that might have been demonstrated at AES by Scott!! Until then i let you populate every phono topic you your supposedly natural born digital children...

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
You are making less sense with every post. Ever considered quitting whilst you are ahead?
Did you ever had any other replica to smb who doesn't agree with you?
Even if in the future you will come up with something true and bulletproof , i won't bother look into it just because i consider one year of carefully crafted lies around a subject that was never proved by anybody in the real world to bee to much for me.Unfortunately I have developed an allergy to everything you post already! It's just enough to see your name to know what i should expect.

Last edited:
Account Closed
Joined 2010
Unfortunately way too many people advise here to try new phono preamp designs, completely ignoring the best designs ever made while by 1982 there were already designed, built and sold millions of bullet proof commercial designs from EMT, Yamaha, Kenwood, Pioneer, Marantz, Quad, Technics, Marantz, Fisher, Holman and many , many others ...

You better start digging into Hifi engine archives for old schematics because the best years of vinyl passed a long time ago.

My hope for my final MM setup is likely to be total heresy to many as will be a phantom powered headamp in the turntable directly to an ADC. Minimal analog circuitry and most of the heavy lifting done in DSP.

I'd love to hear more about this. Been musing about a Cortex based DSP in a small enclosure mounted below the tonearm, and have a digital cable straight to my amp's digital input...

...can you share more about what you are hoping to do? I have zero digital design skills and would have to rely on prebuilt modules, but have no issues with code.

InSides: as I appear to being stalked on this thread best I dig out a couple of links to where this has been discussed at length and post those for you to peruse. I don't wish to derail this thread further.

Apologies, was not my intention. I merely jumped at the mention of A/D, and the phantom power approach really piqued my interest...

...I would prefer to use LOMCs than the MMs you mentioned you incline to.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.