Asking for Help|Convert a Belt Drive Turnatable to Direct Drive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I've been thinking all these days about change the traction system of a Stanton T50 Turntable, which is a belt drive, can be changed to a direct drive system. I was thinking of use a best model stanton direct drive system and change it, because all stanton models are usually the same distribution. I'm new to the DIY world and the Turntables.

PD: Im from Chile, so sorry if i don't have a good grammar.

Bless!

It's up to you, but why do you want to downgrade your turntable? Belt drive is considered generally superior to DD, at least sonically.
Anyway, I don't think you can convert a belt drive to a direct drive, but obviously you can sell it and buy a DD for its price. I would not do it. Impressive parameters do not automatically mean better sound.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm afraid I don't have any positive contribution to make - such a conversion is really not a practical proposition.

A different motor with its associated control electronics, power supply etc. would be required and your current turntable platter would have to be replaced by a direct drive one.

Plus, even if the new parts could physically be fitted in, you'd need the technical knowledge to make it all work. And you may spend a lot of money in the process that could have gone towards the purchase of a new direct drive turntable.

i don't know what else i need ¿ The DD turntable uses a different power supply? ¿Can i use the main pcb?
I've found this complete kit - lets you see all the components required. (It appears you may be able to use your existing platter with this type of DD motor, but only if the taper fits the DD motor shaft - if not, a new platter is required - available from the same supplier.)

Still don't think it would be cost effective to go down this path - unless you can pick up a damaged Stanton DD turntable cheaply at auction and gut it for donor DD parts.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/2226916415...MIgbX50fra5QIVibHtCh2dtgu7EAQYASABEgIILvD_BwE

[FONT="]The components supplied include:[/FONT]

• Motor drive and control assembly (including record spindle & tapered mount for platter)
  • Mains input assembly including IEC lead socket, main power switch and mains input filtering all mounted on small external panel
  • Mains transformer inc (soft anti-vibration) mounts
  • Switch assembly (this is a small pcb mounted rotary switch : 33-off-45)
  • Speed selection control board

Last edited:
It's up to you, but why do you want to downgrade your turntable? Belt drive is considered generally superior to DD, at least sonically.
Anyway, I don't think you can convert a belt drive to a direct drive, but obviously you can sell it and buy a DD for its price. I would not do it. Impressive parameters do not automatically mean better sound.

For decades I've also been convinced of the superiority of belt driven TT's - until I got an itch from Dual's CS 607, CS 617, and, finally CS 741Q, which has become my daily TT since more that a year now. They simply do what they are expected to, and I can't tell any sonic difference from my belt driven TT's. I don't hear the motors of any.

Anyway, I agree with the 2nd part of your statement. Due to the large number of incompatible parts I'd also sell the belt driven TT in favour of the DD.

Best regards!

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum. I've been thinking all these days about change the traction system of a Stanton T50 Turntable, which is a belt drive, can be changed to a direct drive system. I was thinking of use a best model stanton direct drive system and change it, because all stanton models are usually the same distribution. I'm new to the DIY world and the Turntables.

PD: Im from Chile, so sorry if i don't have a good grammar.

Bless!
Stanton did a DD SL-1200 copy/equivalent that can be found pretty cheap secondhand.
Converting your BD to DD is out of your skill level.
A sip-mat may be the solution that you need.

Dan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.