Transcriptor HUM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I recently purchased a transcriptor skeleton turntable. I have a hum problem that -for the life of me- I can't figure out.

With the stylus off the record, it does not hum.

With the stylus on the record, *motor running*, record spinning, it hums.

With the stylus ON the record with the *motor OFF*, it does not hum.

I can not figure this out, for the life of me.

Can you please help?

Thanks,
Shane.

Last edited:
Sounds like the motor itself is producing the vibration mechanically, which is being transferred to the platter and hence to the record.
It might sound silly, but first, have you checked for any transit screws?
After that make sure the motor is mounted correctly; have you had a look at the user manual here:- Transcriptors Skeleton - Manual - 2-Speed Universal Turntable - Vinyl Engine
If the motor itself is producing any significant vibration it may be that the phase capacitor is out of spec, not sure what the value should be, but it will be printed on the original part, and after 40+ years may well be due for replacement.
Let us know how you get on, I'm sure other members will come up with other ideas

Good Luck

I am thinking it is the motor. I have gone through a couple belts. One was the original which had stretched beyond use. A new one was provided to me which was too tight and the wrong "gauge". So, I cut an inch out of the old belt to get it running and put it back together with an adhesive, but still a hum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.