Analog Out from TVs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The samsung 32" I bought in 2017 has no analog out. It sounds terrible. It has some kind of optical link, presumably patented to require you to buy their $190 sound bar with the "amazing" 3" woofer. I instead bought a hdtv tuner from farnell for $49 with analog outputs and hooked it up to a PV-4C amp I bought for $28 & repaired for $50. The speakers are 6.5" with whizzer cones salvaged from a projection TV I found on the curb after the garbage truck ignored it. In farnell boxes with a reflex port in the back they sound pretty good.

Last edited:
The samsung 32" I bought in 2017 has no analog out. It sounds terrible. <snip>

We have an LG with optical out which can be set to stereo or 'auto' meaning it will pass 5.1. If the Toslink DAC does NOT support 5.1, it will make some of the more horrendous noise when the AC-3 is treated as 'stereo'. OTOH a 5.1 DAC can be used to get full 5.1 audio which sounds really good. A plain jane stereo DAC is less than $10 and a 5.1 capable stereo only out is less than $15 and a 5.1 with all 6 outputs is less than $20. The main problem with those DACs is the TV does not control audio levels on the Toslink (at least true for an LG OLED) meaning you need an outboard remote analog control. I can give you Arduino code to control a PGA2311 chip using the same controller as your TV. See 5.1 audio by stratus46 and the Arduino code is there. Help yourself. This is DIY so DIY.

Modern TV's don't need a tuner. They receive HDTV right off the antenna.
Displays without a tuner are called "monitor".
In post 2 I pointed out that a tuner with analog outputs is cheaper than the "sound bar" sold to be compatible with the TV, and has better sound potential.
I wonder if the optical output on my Samsung 32" is "toslink" or some patented device compatible only with the samsung soundbar? Not important though, **** thing quit working at 1 year & 50 weeks. Something on the IR pickup/on switch board loses connection unless wiggled weekly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.