Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Thoren TD 160 tonearm problem
Thoren TD 160 tonearm problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2019, 02:32 AM   #11
daniel4381 is offline daniel4381
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood625 View Post
There is a steel pin which retains the silver sleeve to the black arm tube mount. Remove the pin and hope the sleeve will slide off the arm tube to replace the collar. I would try to remove the pin before buying any parts, if it won't budge, your not out anything. Try flush type wire cutters to grip and lever out the pin. Protect the tonearm or sleeve where the wire cutter will lever against to prevent a mark.

GOOD LUCK! Look at vinyl engine for any service info on your tonearm.

NOS parts are available from Switzerland on ebay, I have purchased from them for my TD 320 MK3 w/TP90 tonearm.
My two other Thorens turntables use SME arms (TD 125 MK2, TD 321).
Thank you so much, hope I can do this.
Old 10th September 2019, 08:11 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I am afraid whether I can do it right or no. If I fail and damage the arm in that case I will have to change and buy another one. Need your expert suggestions as I have no experience with this kind of gears. My wand is tp62 (I think, no where it is written). Picture attached, now if I buy tp16 tonearm with tp63 want will there be any problem. The one I found does not have the base plate , will it fit in my td160 table.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400 (7).jpg (12.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190910_135849.jpg (402.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 10th September 2019, 01:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I opened the coller and fixed the looseness of the coller, but no improvement. Now the wand is fixed properly. This hum and buzz sound was not there earlier, but now it is prominent, may not be loud. What can be the cause? I am novice here, not much knowledge on electronics, though very successfully made DIY speaker, Amp, R2R DAC and preamp with the help of this forum. Can someone please guide me. Regsrds
Old 10th September 2019, 03:30 PM   #14
elwood625 is offline elwood625  United States
diyAudio Member

First, the TD160 came with the TP16 tonearm, there is no TP60 tonearm.
Good to hear you were able to tighten the collar, did you clean the mating surfaces between the two halves of the tone arm tube?
Old 10th September 2019, 03:36 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Make sure it is not your phono pre causing the hum, disconnect the tonearm leads from the phono pre and turn on your system, phono pre first, preamp second, then the amp. Since you have a M2X, wait 30 minutes before testing, that's how long it takes my M2X to stabilize.
Hum problems from tone arms is always because of ground wire issues. Take a wire from the turntable ground connection, strip the insulation back and touch the wire to your tone arm tube, any change?

Don't forget, this is a turntable that is almost 50 years old, TLC is required to keep these things going.
Old 11th September 2019, 02:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Make sure it is not your phono pre causing the hum, disconnect the tonearm leads from the phono pre and turn on your system, phono pre first, preamp second, then the amp. Since you have a M2X, wait 30 minutes before testing, that's how long it takes my M2X to stabilize.
Hum problems from tone arms is always because of ground wire issues. Take a wire from the turntable ground connection, strip the insulation back and touch the wire to your tone arm tube, any change?

Don't forget, this is a turntable that is almost 50 years old, TLC is required to keep these things going.
!! Your right, it is my phono stage that is making the hum. I opened the turntable output cord from phono stage, then turned on phono stage , pre and power as said, and the hum is very loud. My phono stage is a muffsy DIY phono kit, (https://www.muffsy.com/mobile/). . Is it the problem of the phono stage? The speaker is absolutely silent when I use DAC of my Marantz CD player, even at the highest volume.

Last edited by daniel4381; 11th September 2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11th September 2019, 03:13 PM   #17
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

As above bits 'can' be had from Ebay/ Switzerland.
But the Rascal puts new meaning to the term 'Greedy'.
Likely far better to lose that goofy arm.. It wasn't one of Thorens' brightest moments
Old 11th September 2019, 03:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

It's good to know the turntable and wiring are good, you should probably open a new thread for the phono stage hum problem. Since the amp is quiet using the DAC, and hum happens when the phono pre is hooked up, I would think the phono pre is the issue.
Old 11th September 2019, 03:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's good to know the turntable and wiring are good, you should probably open a new thread for the phono stage hum problem. Since the amp is quiet using the DAC, and hum happens when the phono pre is hooked up, I would think the phono pre is the issue.
Thanks for all the help that you rendered. This is a great community with so many learned people.

Thoren TD 160 tonearm problemHide this!Advertise here!