Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition: Douglas Self
Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition: Douglas Self
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM   #71
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasSelf View Post
Well, that's a new one. I am surprised that he put that forward as avoiding SMD is going to be near-impossible unless you confine yourself to vintage gear.

All the new opamps etc are SMD only, which makes things hard unless you invest in a lot of gear.
Doug, the anti SMD thing has been doing the rounds for about 2 or 3 years. I’ve not heard it in any of the mainstream printed magazines though. I’ll try and dig up the review

I’m a pretty dab hand at putting down SMD manually - TSSOP 28 and 64 pin devices ( micro controllers) at 0.5 mm pin pitch no problem!

Last edited by Bonsai; Yesterday at 05:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
News to me too, I embraced SMD quite a while ago and my gear is a mix full of SMD, tubes and mosfets. I will admit to having been called a heretic on more than one occasion. LOL

One could argue that the lack of leads is a benefit.. lol I particularly like those thin film Panasonic precision resistors. I stick to 1206 where possible, these shaky hands and bad eyes don't like anything smaller than 0805.
I actually prefer placing SMD - Im most comfortable at 0805, SOT23 and SOD323 and bigger.
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Heres the review. There are others but Id really have to root around some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1794EEC3-C906-4CDA-BDA3-5ED08D6DE25B.jpg (336.0 KB, 20 views)
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #74
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Heres the review. There are others but Id really have to root around some more.
Wow! The Messiah is coming!

Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition: Douglas SelfHide this!Advertise here!