Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition: Douglas Self
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2019, 02:56 PM   #11
steveu is offline steveu  United States
diyAudio Member

The most interesting thing about tape recorders was the recording bias. I often wondered if a PWM signal would have worked well? But like tube circuits, I don't think it maters any more.
Most important thing for a guitar pre-amp is super high input impedance because the pick-ups are huge inductors. This is also why the cable matters. In the late 60s I built a killer guitar box, which sounded great with ~no distortion. In retrospect that was largely due to a bootstrapped input which provided hi-Z and a bit of 2nd harmonics.
Old 26th August 2019, 09:20 PM   #12
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Respect to kevinkr and my own past--- tape is "dead". It is more than a whole book. The few still geeking about it won't pay an author's rent. Tape preamps are often just re-figured phono preamps. Tape bias is a potentially simple balance among too many conflicting objectives, and very situational. Summarize what comes easy and fits in a chapter. Leave "tape book" for when you are very idle and have many eager tape-fans clamoring.

Likewise I'd thing "guitar" belongs in its own book BUT there seem to be eager readers and potentially more than $2/hour in it. At least there are many books, each with a unique slant, yet still room for yours.

"variable gain stages"... volume knobs or fast electronic (AGC) controls? (Just curious- not planning anything ATM.)
Old 26th August 2019, 11:40 PM   #13
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasSelf View Post
Umm- like Chapter 5 in the current edition?

If you know of some good candidate opamps not already covered, let me know.
Ah... Now do I wait for 3rd edition or upgrade to 2nd...
Old 27th August 2019, 12:25 PM   #14
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Respect to kevinkr and my own past--- tape is "dead". It is more than a whole book. The few still geeking about it won't pay an author's rent. Tape preamps are often just re-figured phono preamps. Tape bias is a potentially simple balance among too many conflicting objectives, and very situational. Summarize what comes easy and fits in a chapter. Leave "tape book" for when you are very idle and have many eager tape-fans clamoring.
I've said tape was dead several times, but I was wrong. It's coming back with a vengeance. According to Ken Kessler in this month's Hifi News,Thorens are bring out a new playback-only machine, and the used market is going mad. People are selling pre-recorded tapes again. I know it's only fashion, but it's real. I am going to dig out my old Fostex R8.

It certainly could be a whole book, and I am pondering the matter...

Quote:
"variable gain stages"... volume knobs or fast electronic (AGC) controls? (Just curious- not planning anything ATM.)
By that I mean stages with a wide gain range, that may or may not include zero. A wider range than a volume control which typically only goes up to +10 dB.
Old 27th August 2019, 08:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you know of some good candidate opamps not already covered, let me know.
Well I've used the AD8656 dual 5V CMOS opamp. Seems to tick a lot of boxes quite well, though not cheap.
Old 28th August 2019, 12:02 AM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, I certainly would not be unhappy if the pondering turned into a book on tape recorder electronics..

Seriously though thank you for asking us for suggestions.

I've got a number of your books already and look forward to the next one when it becomes available.
Old 28th August 2019, 05:12 PM   #17
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tillotson View Post
Ah... Now do I wait for 3rd edition or upgrade to 2nd...
I suggest the logical course is to buy twenty copies of the 2nd edition at once.
Old 29th August 2019, 03:05 AM   #18
easp is offline easp
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I suggest the logical course is to buy twenty copies of the 2nd edition at once.
If he does, will he get a discount on the 3rd edition when it comes out?
Old 29th August 2019, 05:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Will paralleling 20 copies reduce reading time by sqrt(20)?
Old 29th August 2019, 05:37 PM   #20
guavatone is offline guavatone  United States
diyAudio Member

I second kevinkr’s appreciation for this post. I’ve really gotten a lot from your previous publications. The audio switch section quite invaluable. You provide quite a bit on measurements dilineated by topic. I think it would be great if you had a chart on the specs of various switching topologies.

But just a brief look at ‘small signal’ TOC makes me doubt what could be improved on such an awesomely comprehensive book.

Maybe the PSU section could be expanded to talk about current sources and super regs. As well as PSU impedance.

Thanks sooo much for all your hard work.

Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition: Douglas SelfHide this!Advertise here!