Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition: Douglas Self
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2020, 08:10 PM   #91
brian92fs is offline brian92fs  United States
diyAudio Member

Same here.

It would also be nice if there was a reliable source for PCBs for the designs presented in the book. The 2nd edition references the Signal Transfer company, though they seem to be out of business, or at the very least extremely challenging to order from - as discussed in The Signal Transfer Company thread.
Old 12th February 2020, 08:32 PM   #92
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It would also be nice if there was a reliable source for PCBs for the designs presented in the book.
What designs? not that I have the latest book versions.

If these people running "Signal Transfer company" were on the up and up, they should announce their op status instead of keeping people in the dark. Not sure why someone would be paying for a web site/host with no intentions of doing any business with it, seems odd to me.
Old 12th February 2020, 09:21 PM   #93
brian92fs is offline brian92fs  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
What designs? not that I have the latest book versions.
I'm making an assumption here. In his previous books, some of the content had a realized product available for purchase from the Signal Transfer Company as either bare PCBs or kits.
Old 12th February 2020, 09:25 PM   #94
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

The small signal stuff is mainly fragments of mixing desk, not so easy to package as a power amplifier. Some of the preamps or gain/tone controls would be amenable as self-contained projects, as would some of the power supply stuff I think.
Old 12th February 2020, 09:32 PM   #95
Carl_Huff is offline Carl_Huff  United States
diyAudio Member

I think pulling those 'fragments of a mixing desk' together as channel strips would be an interesting project.
Old 29th April 2020, 12:13 PM   #96
DeAl66 is offline DeAl66
diyAudio Member

I just discovered this thread and meanwhile the 3rd edition is about to be released.
Some years ago I bought the 2nd edition of Small Signal Audio Design to understand how RIAA equalisation is implemented and hopefully to find out how it could be modified into NAB or CCIR equalisation for tape head pre-amps.
As mentioned earlier there's a serious open reel tape deck revival and prices of used reel-to-reel decks have multiplied over the last decade.
Also some new decks are on the market (Ballfinger, Thorens, in near future also Metaxas) but only for extreme prices. So the tape enthousiasts are limited to the open reel tape decks mostly produced in the 70 and 80's.
Outboard tape head preamps for playback only are available, but again high prices.

As a hobby I refurbish some open reel deck models (Pioneer, Technics, Revox) but I'm sure there's room for improvement in the used tape head replay and record amplifiers.

I was delighted to read in this thread a chapter would be dedicated to tape replay in the 3rd edition.
However, going through the TOC (preview Amazon) the Tape Replay Amplifiers are only covering 2 pages in the book, so not sure if it's worth for me to purchase the 3rd edition for this reason only.
Will a practical tape replay amp be presented? With op-amp's or discrete transistor circuitry?
Old 24th August 2020, 07:00 PM   #97
DouglasSelf is offline DouglasSelf  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattis View Post
OPA1678 / OPA1679 is an important newcomer!

possibly other goodies from TI at different pricepoints, OPA164x / OPA165x might be interesting

NJM8068
I have recently run some tests on the NJM8068.

Unimpressive and no substitute for the 5532/4.

BTW, I assume some of you have the book by now, despite all the dislocation.

I would be happy to hear what you think of it.
Old 24th August 2020, 10:59 PM   #98
diyralf is offline diyralf
diyAudio Member

There are strong indications that the new OPA1656 should have even less distortion than the LM4562. Further more in-depth tests would be worthwhile here.
Old 24th August 2020, 11:35 PM   #99
Conrad Hoffman is offline Conrad Hoffman  United States
diyAudio Member

That OPA1656 looks really promising. Not stupidly expensive. Nice datasheet too. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 25th August 2020, 07:00 AM   #100
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

The OPA1656 came out best for the autoranger update. Very good all-round opamp unless you need the very lowest noise.
Not available in DIL case though, which is no problem for me.

Jan

Small Signal Audio Design 3rd edition: Douglas SelfHide this!Advertise here!