I hope to make my own
Motor housing again I’m new to this but switch gear or transformer required
Bearing housing
Arm later on once the turntable is made
Arm housing

Any help or shove in the right direction would be appreciated

Cheers Jim

Last edited:
To be honest I think you’re kidding yourself, there are some used turn tables out there for very little money but what it will cost you for the parts, especially if you pay postage and then all the time it is going to take you to build it then all the frustration when it doesn’t work very well - all that time could be way better spent doing something else - take the time and do a paper around it and earn the money, the second hand turn table doesn’t have to cost a lot of money to get you going

Rega has turntable parts along with many after marker parts makers for Rega. You need to give an approximate budget and the skill level you have . A turntable is a simple device but getting everything right, properly fitted is another story. Good luck with your project.

I have a motor and the driver board for it if that’s the starting level you want to start off at
It’s to make a TT setup with its own speed control and motor. It’s in the beginning stage of the build. The speed controller is made and the motor is hooked up
It needs a base and pulley made for
I can post some pics of it shortly

Hi I cam e up with this using a Lenco 78 platter & bearing (refurbished) & a 12'' tonearm lit. The used a separate motor pod & Mylar belt to drive the unit
Cost under $1000

Attachments

• 1128211048.jpg
    1128211048.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: 1 user
I've rebuilt and modified at least 100 TT through the years. One of the best places to start is an old rim drive like a Russco, QRK, or Sparta. All three are broadcast turntables with fractional motors. Broadcast TT don't require speed control. Transcription turntables do. Transcriptions like the TD 124 or anything with a strobe are for repeating recorded vinyl or for recording from a TT. Transcription are usually all 4 speeds to, 16, 33.3, 45, 78.

Broadcast TT are just for the ruggedness and the 24/7/365 X 15 years. They have huge aluminum non magnetic platters. They are 2-3 times the weight of either the 301 or 401 Garrard TT. Same rim drive idea. I have at least 30 Russcos I've done through the years that are still in service. I make the plinths out of 1" oak stair flats from Home Depot. 39.00 USD.

The Russco 2 speed also has a separate arm board. The last batch I picked up there were 6 in the lot. I paid 500.00 for the lot and he threw in two extra QRK 3 speeds. The QRK were pulls from the same station in central CA.

These are 100,000 hour machines, and then you rebuild them, for another 100,000 hours. They have a gear shifter, what else
do you want? Tricking one out is easy. They look and sound amazing for a non lifted mag or air platter. Maintenance is always an issue with a good table. These are no different.

You can tell very simply if they are right. 1/4 to 1/2 revolution to full speed from a flip of the QUE start. Arm down in the grove and flip the Que, 1/4 -1/2 turn should be full speed.

There is some TT history for a start. THE MOTOR, and a heavier non mag platter go a long ways too. You'll learn how to quiet one down. Turntables are like rabbits too. They multiply.

Regards

Well I stuck my foot in it didn't I. I've never looked to see if they were 50/60hz motors. I'll check. I've done Garrard 301/401s several times. The pulley can be stubborn.

I checked the motors work at 50hz. All you do, is a pully change.
This one is in primer/sanding for a smooth high gloss finish. The top is no longer a slipper mat. That tonearm was made less than 50 miles from my home. "Woodies" In Elk Grove.

"Jul 8, 2020 — If your turntable runs way too fast (about 20%) and you are in a 60 Hz country, you may have a 50 Hz pulley on the motor. Synchronous motors.
I have 2 Cue-Master broadcast style turntables that I inherited some years ago."

So I'm sure there are pullies out there and lots of upgraded parts, or DIY fixes. A tube of silicone to the platter is one.
I don't slipper QUE either so the old felts platter pads that are meant to be changed are swapped for more modern types.

I flipped vinyl on the weekends in the 60s. We had dual QUE Masters, Mono, Stereo rigs. Stanton and Shure were all the rage back then.

As you can see that is a washing machine motor. :) That is the 39.00 stair flat I use. I've made 45 out of stair flats for Thoren, Russco, Garrard, Kenwood, ect. Work very well I add stubby Queen Ann legs to the corners on a few, quit a change.
Drill and drop tonearms too. I used a lot of concrete pods. Now just 3 carts Mono, Stereo MI and MM. I like Decware's phono stage. I just received a Herron V2 we'll see. What are you planning on a phono pre? 5 dollars to 5 million. Take your pick.
Puffin is a keeper for a "popper" collection of vinyl. LOL

Attachments

• 20191122_122815[1].jpg
    20191122_122815[1].jpg
    479 KB · Views: 100
  • 20191114_154915[1].jpg
    20191114_154915[1].jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210507_150023[1].jpg
    20210507_150023[1].jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
I bought an old Rek-O-Kut turn table for the platter main plate and motor them used an Infinity Black Widow tone arm that I lengthened to 12”. All this I put on a 120lb piece of carved marble.
A8B492CF-FC21-4A65-9E24-0DCDECE26FB5.jpeg
B19C71BD-3818-446D-91C7-B5DE4E149108.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E9E9B9C-F82E-4C5F-8D99-2E13754D31ED.jpeg
    4E9E9B9C-F82E-4C5F-8D99-2E13754D31ED.jpeg
    384.9 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: 1 user
Hi I cam e up with this using a Lenco 78 platter & bearing (refurbished) & a 12'' tonearm lit. The used a separate motor pod & Mylar belt to drive the unit
Cost under $1000
good work - very nice.
For me an interesting question is - what is the correct value for the pretensioning force of belt (right contact pressure on motor pulley and platter)?
This value is dependent from the kind of drive motor so as from the wight of platter and the kind of bearing/spindle set-up. Also from the belt material (rubber, mylar and polyurethan have different compliance resp. resilience)

Is this value to low, the unwanted effects (through elastic slippage) are clearly audible (due to the elasticity of the belt, elongation processes occur in the belt during rotation around the pulleys. These stretching processes are due to the increase (or decrease) in the belt tension at the transition from the slack side to the tight side (or vice versa) – the belt stretches according to the force acting on the pulley).

Is the value to high, this leads both to high bearing loads and to increases belt wear.

How do professional manufacturers (Linn REGA, Pro-Ject etc) determine this value ?
And how can the user this value determine correctly (separately installed drive motors leave room for evaluations)?

Thank you for an advice.