DIY turntable build

I am sure there is a magical formula the the ''back room boys'' could come up with. But you need to know a lot about the belt you are using.
That is why I went down the Mylar road as there is no stretch & I achieve my belt tensioning by the weight applied by the motor pod that only sits on it's front two feet. I did this by trial and error measuring the units speed & wow when more of less weight was applied. The going for the weight that gave to best results. Then end result very much depends on the platter run out error which need to be as perfect as possible. But with the drive system I came up with there is the ability to compensate for platter runout as the motor pully will follow the runout, not fight it. My figures for speed accuracy is down to 0.06, with similar wow.

Cheers

Firstly i listen, I am lucky & I listen to a very good Grand Piano every week, before I begin choir practice. So I know what sustained piano notes sound like.
I also use an app on my, which is reasonably reliable, All people (like wine tasting) have a different ability to heard minute speed & wow differences. That's how some companies can still sell T/T with speed variation up about the 0.15% mark, some people find that acceptable. I aim for less that a repeatable 0.06 as a practical level. The other day I cleaned my Mylar belt & the variance dropped 0.02.

Cheers

Joined 2022
Paid Member
This is a great site! I've been enjoying DIY for close to 50 years, and a lot of my gear is DIY.
I checked machine shops every so often to gather as much stainless steel as I thought might help. Then I was lucky enough to find an electron microscope platform to use as the plinth. Next I found a Teres rim drive. Lastly I found a some some pieces to use as a possible platter. From there and with a machine shop close by, it was really easy! Over those 50 years , I have had a lot of turntables but nothing even close to this!
1663429833967.png