Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

marantz Pm7200 Phono Stage Problem
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2019, 04:18 PM   #11
reddish75 is offline reddish75  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

OK, finally coming back to this and I don't seem to be getting a signal out of the phono stage, every other input works as they should.

Taking voltage measurements with negative lead clipped to chassis, the +/- 15v are present but on the njm2114d all pins read +/- 15v. It's not dropping to 7v on pins 2,3,5,6 or 0v on pins 1 and 7.

What can cause this?
Old 9th October 2019, 06:00 PM   #12
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

List all the pins, 1 to 8 and the actual voltage on each. You can't have -/+15 on all pins each one has to be at one voltage or another.

Earlier in the thread (post #1) it seems it did at least work. Has any work been done or parts swapped since then?
Old 11th October 2019, 12:19 PM   #13
reddish75 is offline reddish75  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
List all the pins, 1 to 8 and the actual voltage on each. You can't have -/+15 on all pins each one has to be at one voltage or another.
+/- 15v on all pins, the input board uses the back panel as a common ground, at the minute the board is out for easy access and I have wired these all together and connected back to chassis.

Quote:
Earlier in the thread (post #1) it seems it did at least work. Has any work been done or parts swapped since then?
I cobbled together an inverse riaa (got schematic off ESP) as I thought that the output at very low level from my function generator was not the best, that's the only difference I made
Old 11th October 2019, 06:01 PM   #14
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddish75 View Post
+/- 15v on all pins, the input board uses the back panel as a common ground, at the minute the board is out for easy access and I have wired these all together and connected back to chassis.
The devil is always in the detail

Take pin 3 (random choice). You can't have -/+15 volts on it, it has to be at some defined voltage (unless the stage is oscillating weirdly).

So is it +15 or -15 on pin 3, or is it alternating between positive 15 and negative 15 (which would be somewhat odd).

The same reasoning applies to all the pin voltages, they have to be one or the other.

marantz Pm7200 Phono Stage ProblemHide this!Advertise here!