Problem with unstable pitch in Technics SL 1200 MK2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The pitch on my Technics SL 1200 MK2 has started playing up for the first time. I bought the turntable second hand from a shop that specializes in Technics turntables two years ago.

Here's a video of the problem Shared album - Thomas Romana - Google Photos

When I start going into the +, the pitch starts to become unstable. It seems fine in the - although I've noticed that beatmatching has become a bit harder that it used to be so it might also be a bit unstable but not very noticeable.

I've checked some of the older similar threads but the answers are a bit all over the place and I'm not sure if my problem is exactly the same or not... The shop I bought them at said (without having seen them) that it sounds like an IC related problem and quoted me 85 euros for material and installation.

I'd ideally like to try and do this myself as I'm strapped for cash at the moment, so I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thank you

I would not regard the calibration to be easy for a total novice. You, or your friend, would need to be confident working at printed circuit board level.

Also bear in mind that that the procedure described is a first line of action and it may turn out that the problem lies elsewhere.

The €85 repair offered by the shop is beginning to look very reasonable, particularly in comparison to the value of your turntable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.