Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Advice for buying a used turntable.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th July 2019, 09:25 AM   #1
redrooster is offline redrooster  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Advice for buying a used turntable.

I dont care what brand it is or what it looks like, I just want it to have a good tonearm with a standard head-piece fitting for trying different cartridges and stylus/styli, lol. A speed adjuster to keep it at 33 1/3 would be cool and a cover to keep dust out. Something that is sturdy, reliable and not stupidly expensive.
Old 26th July 2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Define 'not stupidly expensive'!

I my opinion, the go-to vintage turntable with speed control, interchangeable headshell and sturdiness is the Technics 1200 Mk2 which began production in 1979.

See the 'How To Buy' guide on this site: How To Buy a Second Hand Technics Turntable – Studio Scratches
Old 26th July 2019, 11:51 AM   #3
Moondog55 is offline Moondog55  Australia
diyAudio Member

Given the current prices on Technics perhaps you should look at new turntables such as the entry level Project. JB Hi-Fi have turntables from them starting at a few hundred dollars and the Pioneer PLX-1000 I would even consider reasonable even at $1200-
Old 26th July 2019, 11:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
Given the current prices on Technics perhaps you should look at new turntables such as the entry level Project. JB Hi-Fi have turntables from them starting at a few hundred dollars and the Pioneer PLX-1000 I would even consider reasonable even at $1200-
Actually Im building a Hi Fi system for my 20 y/o daughter who has grown up listening to my gear. So far I have gathered up a Sansui AU-D907F Extra amplifier and some rebuilt DCM QED-1A speakers, sounds great. I will just keep looking until I find one that I can rebuild. I just missed out on a like new Era 5505 turntable the other day at $300. The Technics are good turntables but they are overpriced for what they are, just as I would never pay a thousand dollars for a pair of Nike sneakers with flashing lights in the souls, I would never pay more for a brand name like Technics! In fact we should boycott Technics until they drop their prices. There is no way Im going to pay $1200 for something that costs $100 to make.
Old 26th July 2019, 11:33 PM   #5
vinylkid58 is offline vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
In fact we should boycott Technics until they drop their prices. There is no way Im going to pay $1200 for something that costs $100 to make.
Old 27th July 2019, 12:17 AM   #6
Sixto is offline Sixto  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Used turntable deal

I just bought a pioneer pl-7 from Goodwill.com for $36 plus shipping. All it needed was a cartridge, balancing and aligning and now it-sounds great. It took a couple of months to research tables that came up for auction, and find a turntable with good specs, in good shape, and for the right price... but I am happy with my find. Now I gotta find a way to clean the crud off all my old vinyl to keep the clicks and pops to a minimum. Happy hunting! Sixto - Mpls.
Old 27th July 2019, 01:48 AM   #7
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
There is no way Im going to pay $1200 for something that costs $100 to make.
Manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers and retailers - damn those money grabbing supply chains!
Old 27th July 2019, 02:06 AM   #8
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Well, you will find it hard to find a decent T/T with cart for $300, however try looking for some older Thorens or Rega. Either should do the job.
Also has the amp got a phono input.

Cheers.
Old 27th July 2019, 02:27 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixto View Post
I just bought a pioneer pl-7 from Goodwill.com for $36 plus shipping. All it needed was a cartridge, balancing and aligning and now it-sounds great. It took a couple of months to research tables that came up for auction, and find a turntable with good specs, in good shape, and for the right price... but I am happy with my find. Now I gotta find a way to clean the crud off all my old vinyl to keep the clicks and pops to a minimum. Happy hunting! Sixto - Mpls.
Good find mate! You can download a protractor to align your cartridge and stylus from Vinyl Engine just make sure your print-out measures the same as the one online. I have the same problem with dirty old records but classics. I tried the Stuyversant roller brush cleaner but its garbage, Im going to try the PVC glue trick next! Apparently you can spread the glue over the tracks and when its dry you peel it off with all the dirt from out of the tracks. There are some videos on YouTube about it. I just bought a used Sherwood DEK-7U turntable in its origonal box for $80 about an hour ago, Ill see how it goes, my daughter likes the old style look though, she might like it?
Old 27th July 2019, 02:53 AM   #10
champco is offline champco
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Last year I picked up a Technics SP-25 which was a Radio Station piece with a manual arm on it. I have since determined I have no desire for a Manual arm as staying steady raising and lowering tone arms, those times are past me.
Naw give me a que.
After looking up tone arms to add it became apparent it would need a addition to the existing plinth which is doable but the prices of the arms would greatly exceed what I have in the turntable. But it is the way to go. This TT will outlive me and the next owner. A modern arm installed properly is the dream table. I just don't need it. radio stations are still absolving equipment. This one came from a local Religious station. Probably not a lot of hours on it. Deals can be found.

Advice for buying a used turntable.Hide this!Advertise here!