Advice for buying a used turntable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
LOL!

Hey, I've got three nice HiFi VCR's in the house still.
And a ton of VCR tapes too.
Why get rid of them?
Haven't used them in a while, or for that matter my Akai reel-to-reel, but they're there if I need them.

Stereo VCRs with good quality tapes are great for recording Hi-Resolution music. I used to record music like that back in the 1970s.:D

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Stereo VCRs with good quality tapes are great for recording Hi-Resolution music. I used to record music like that back in the 1970s.:D

Yes, I've used them for audio recording too.
But you need a "HiFi" vcr using the spinning video head recording recording the audio.
The older "stereo" vcr's used a lateral fixed head to record audio, which was low quality.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, I've used them for audio recording too.
But you need a "HiFi" vcr using the spinning video head recording recording the audio.
The older "stereo" vcr's used a lateral fixed head to record audio, which was low quality.

Yes, you do need a Hi-Fi Stereo VCR, I didn't think it was important to mention anything more than the simple fact. I cant see many people rushing off to get themselves a Hi-Fi Stereo VCR to record their music on?:D

Account Closed
Joined 2018
Yes, you do need a Hi-Fi Stereo VCR, I didn't think it was important to mention anything more than the simple fact. I cant see many people rushing off to get themselves a Hi-Fi Stereo VCR to record their music on?:D

I don't either!.....LOL!

But the reason I mentioned about it was that some people don't know the real difference.
AKA - "Stereo" VCR = early types, mediocre stereo sound.
"HIFI Stereo" VCR = best sound.

We used to say - "if it doesn't say "HIFI" on it, it's not worth the bother.

And a ton of VCR tapes too. Haven't used them in a while.
Just between you and me, I still use VHS tapes to time shift TV programmes. Recordings that I want to keep are made on DVD-R.

I could plug a hard drive into my smart TV, but much prefer to use physical media.

I use a Panasonic DMR-EZ49V combo recorder and, yes, it does carry the 'Hi-Fi' legend on the VHS section! :cool:

Attachments

• DMR-EZ49V.jpg
    DMR-EZ49V.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 89
Account Closed
Joined 2018
Just between you and me, I still use VHS tapes to time shift TV programmes. Recordings that I want to keep are made on DVD-R.

I could plug a hard drive into my smart TV, but much prefer to use physical media.

I use a Panasonic DMR-EZ49V combo recorder and, yes, it does carry the 'Hi-Fi' legend on the VHS section! :cool:

HA, I can do you one better......
Asides from my Panasonic hifi VCRs, I also have a Panasonic DMR-E85H combo DVD burner/Hard Drive recorder - rare to find used these days.
A customer abandoned it in my shop a few years back - needing the SMPS worked on.
So I fixed it and brought it home!

Attachments

• DMR-E85.jpeg
    DMR-E85.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 80
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.