Systemdek iv 33 rpm motor fault

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Lets take it one step at a time :)

The original fault was that one speed (33 rpm) failed such that the platter stopped turning.

Is the numbering on those chips identical in every way?

If so and if one was faulty then we would expect the fault to now be that the 45 rpm speed fails... and yet that isn't what seems to be happening.

Hi,

Both chips are identical. When I swapped the chips around the motor didn't run at the 45-speed setting but it did run at the 33-speed setting - This is the reverse of the original fault. Swapping them back to their original positions the motor ran at the 45-speed setting but not at the 33 speed.

Cheers
kgt6452

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The newer PSU supervisor chips seem to be SMD small outline only and cost peanuts. The Nikko one does say 8 pin DIL and does quote the full correct device number.

Its not good to use such similar descriptors though. The other totally different chips are STM706T/S/R and STM706P.

I Can't thank everyone enough for their help. I'll get everything back together and put the pully back onto the motor. I'll leave the 33rpm setting working until I get the new chip. (may not bother - it is a hell of a price).

Will post update when all connected up and tried out.

cheers
kdt6452

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'll leave the 33rpm setting working until I get the new chip. (may not bother - it is a hell of a price)....

I guess one way of looking at it would be to think of it as worthwhile to both restore functionality and also to have as a spare.

Small IC's are usually ultra reliable and always the last suspect... unless there happens to be a known issue with them.

This is just my thoughts now... I once built a preamp with all electronic switching using discrete CMOS logic chips and for no obvious reason suffered repeated failure of the same 4017 IC which was one of several. There was no logical explanation for this and so I added an inverse parallel diode across the supply along with a Zener for transient protection along with a 0.1uF mounted directly across the supply pins of the chip concerned. The failures stopped.

If I had your TT in front of me then I might consider doing something similar as prevention against an 'unknown possible issue'.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.