Techncis ST-S505L Distortion changing channels

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Got one of thses of ebay for £7.50

Works well but display dims to beat of music. Had this before so changed power supply caps and solved the problem but a new one has emerged. Distortion for a few seconds when changing channels.

Any ideas?

Also broke one of the pins on the VFD display while removing the leaking supercaps but have recovered this by soldering a piece of wire from the board back to the remains of the pin.

Any help appreciated

Capacitors all good I think!

I shorted the board by accident as a leg from one of the new caps had fallen on it. Blew fuse and would not start. OK once I removed the short but distortion on preset change remains. May be a transistor but no service manual available for free anywhere!

I have seen that video listed but did not watch it up until now. Interestingly I did electrocute myself due to the exposed tramsformer and burned myself with the soldering iron at the same time!

The STS707 is unfortunately a different design to STS505.

Update

Never sorted the distortion on changing presets but sound quality is excellet after a few seconds. Picks up stations very well. Replaced super capacitors for the preset memory. These always leak and corrode the metal on the board so had to connect one leg of the cap directly to the other one to complete the circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.