How to connect a Denon AU-320 step-up MC transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a preamp that has four banks of micro switches for gain and input impedance. They are adjusted for my Denon DL 103R.

I have decided to add another deck that also has a 103R but comes with a Denon AU-320 step-up transformer.

My question is, should I reset the micro switches to 0 when inserting the transformer or will it automatically defeat the present set-up?

Is there another way to connect the transformer to avoid the cumbersome task of setting the switches back and forth when I switch from turntable A to turntable B?

Many thanks,

Horacio

Last edited:
Does the transformer output use the MM input to the preamp perhaps? If not then yes you'll probably have to reset the switches each time. They tailor the preamp to a particular cartridge.

Other approaches:

1) remove the transformer
2) add a similar transformer to other deck
3) get a 2nd preamp

BTW: You mean DIP switches, not microswitches. This is a microswitch: Z15GW2BOMI | IP00 Snap Action Limit Switch Roller Lever, NO/NC, 500V | RS Components

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My question is, should I reset the micro switches to 0 when inserting the transformer or will it automatically defeat the present set-up?

Most likely yes.

Why preamp is it? That will help answer the question more accurately.

Is there another way to connect the transformer to avoid the cumbersome task of setting the switches back and forth when I switch from turntable A to turntable B?

No.

It is a Klyne Series 6

Attachments

• IMG_1758_resize.JPG
    IMG_1758_resize.JPG
    509 KB · Views: 192
  • Klyne_3.JPG
    Klyne_3.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_1763_resize.JPG
    IMG_1763_resize.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
The Klynes were excellent preamps of their era.

Having owned the Denon transformer at one time in the 80,s it was not a particular good transformer to mate with an MC. Poor bass response and no micro detail

What you need is the Klyne head amp that had many adjustments and would mate perfectly as a secondary system plus another phono stage to plug into the aux or line section of the SK6

Klynes were excellent pieces

Regards
David

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Having owned the Denon transformer at one time in the 80,s it was not a particular good transformer to mate with an MC. Poor bass response and no micro detail

I have to ask, why would a MC step-up transformer not be a good mate with a MC cartridge? :confused:

355F1 -

The AU-320 is one of the better Denon SUT, I'd absolutely give it a try. With the 103 series you'll want it set to the 40ohm position (1:10)

If you find it has "Poor bass response and no micro detail", I'll happily take it off your hands. :) :) :)

Your Klyne preamp looks fantastic!

Just that particular one
When I got the Verion trans (Cotter) it was easy to hear a steep improvement over it.
Transformers are excellent gain devices and there are good ones and great ones

At least at their worst, they are relatively easy on the ear unlike some head amps that can get hard sounding
The Kylne was a break thru back then and the recommendation

Just personal experince from that combination

Regards
David

Chaps,

I should have been more clear regarding the use of the Denon transformer, it seems that I opened a can of worms here.

A friend gave me a Thorens TD 125/SME/3009/Denon AU320/DL-103R. I already have a great deck but wanted to try the 320/103 combination and not delve into what transformer is better.

The phono preamplifier for System Six is ​​factory-installed in the 6LE3.5 / P model. The universal application is obtained with an adjustable gain of 37, 50 or 63 dB at 1 kHz. The input impedance is adjustable between 100 and 47K Ohm. An adjustable high-frequency contour network is incorporated into the cartridge loading circuit which has a load dependent on the frequency of the cartridge to dampen the high-frequency resonances of the MC cartridges. It has a superb head amp with unlimited asjustments.

The Verion/Cotter is a brilliant transformer, sold for $3K in the early eighties and it still sells for more than $2K on ebay, the Denon was relatively inexpensive, ten times cheaper than the Verion.

Cheers,

The DL103 R ha 14 ohm impedance.
The 320 is very ggod but I think you must adjust the reflected impedance.
Now if you have 47k on phono you get 470 ohm reflected on primary.
The phono has the switches and if you are able to set for 22 kohm (p.e.) you will get a better match. Also 15 kohm ( 150 ohm reflecetd9
In case you can use a T adapter on cable goes to phono stage so it is possible to put a male rca jack with a resistor soldered.
in parallel with 47k

Walter

The Verion/Cotter is a brilliant transformer, sold for $3K in the early eighties and it still sells for more than $2K on ebay, the Denon was relatively inexpensive, ten times cheaper than the Verion.

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

In 1979 the Cotter mk2 sold for 425$ and it never rose anywhere near 3k in the 80,s.

What I do remember how colored the 320 was when compared, switching them in and out.
Sold it immediately after that.

Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.