Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Floating Tangential Tonearm
Floating Tangential Tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2019, 05:40 PM   #171
Panayotis Kritidis is offline Panayotis Kritidis  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
...and no amount of perfection in tracking will make me want to use an air pump in audio.
Dear directdriver. I agree with most of what you say in post 168. But not with the opinion in the above quote. I am sure that air bearing is inherently the best possible, but I disagree with some realizations of this technics. For example:

- The quite short tonearms, forcing the tonearm rotation axis too high and resulting in considerable alterations of the effective length and the tracking angle in the case of strong warps. I posted here a special clip about this.

- The quite high values of the tonearm mass, in some cases close or even higher than 100 g.

Of all the variants I have seen so far, I would like to have and test a Bergmann tonearm:

Magne T.T. system - bergmannaudio.com
Old 14th July 2019, 06:09 PM   #172
super10018 is online now super10018  United States
diyAudio Member

I will answer your comments briefly since this is not air bearing thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panayotis Kritidis View Post

- The quite short tonearms, forcing the tonearm rotation axis too high and resulting in considerable alterations of the effective length and the tracking angle in the case of strong warps. I posted here a special clip about this.
Check DIY linear arm thread. Niffy did a clever and out of box thinking calculation.

Quote:
- The quite high values of the tonearm mass, in some cases close or even higher than 100 g.
A good linear arm is an optimum combination of mass, friction and cartridge compliance. To single out mass doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
Of all the variants I have seen so far, I would like to have and test a Bergmann tonearm:

Magne T.T. system - bergmannaudio.com
I surely have opinions about this kind of air bearing arm. But I am not going to say it here since it is not the focus of this thread.

Last edited by super10018; 14th July 2019 at 06:12 PM.

Floating Tangential TonearmHide this!Advertise here!