Floating Tangential Tonearm

A measurement of the tonearm rolling noise.

Attachments

• End Grooves Method.png
    End Grooves Method.png
    575.3 KB · Views: 224
Even more oscillations:

What is called ‘tip mass resonance’, a mechanical resonance between stylus tip effective mass and vinyl compliance, occurs around 18kHz and peaks up treble sharply. In old cartridges this restored upper treble. In modern cartridges, notably Moving Coils, it makes for a bright sound overall and this can emphasize distortion from poorly recorded / cut or damaged LPs, and on inner grooves.

Cartridge tests

I was glad to find in a 1977 publication of the prestigious Brüel & Kjær a motivated support for higher cartridge/tonearm vertical resonance frequency.

I am not going to change my existing 13.2 Hz with a higher one, but I am glad to see that 13.2 Hz is not 'too high', as it may seem from some recent recommendations. I started to test some damping of the vertical tonearm vibrations, according to the Brüel & Kjær suggestion. In a water floating tonearm this is an easy task: the damping media is all around. I will report the results later. So far, I post a link to a test recording. made with some vertical tonearm damping. This LP is one of my oldest stereo ones, produced in 1961 - 58 years ago!

Bing Crosby
Bing Goes Latin
MGM Records 2354 028
UK, 1961

http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/spp6_pics/TT_Design/MechanicalResonances.pdf

Bin Crosby Goes Latin.flac - Google Drive

Attachments

• B&K Suggestions.png
    B&K Suggestions.png
    458.9 KB · Views: 147