Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Turntable DD or Belt drive. This is the question.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2019, 08:47 PM   #1
ALPUY is offline ALPUY  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Default Turntable DD or Belt drive. This is the question.

Hi, I again with my discussions.
I'm some time ago to update my old turntable, Aiwa AP2400, direct drive; 1982; with an Audio Techica AT 440 Mlb capsule.
For this reason I have read countless reviews and articles on current turntables.
I have focused on budget within which are Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC; Rega Planar 2; Pioneer PLX 1000
This last DD.
I read the argument of belt drive vs. direct drive, of which there is infinity on the internet.
The conclusion that arrives is that with audiophile purposes the belt drive turntables win and for DJ the direct drive wins.
The argument by majority is that the direct drives have greater motor noise when this is coupled to the plate, not so in the belt drive.
My dilemma is: I do not hear any Humm on my turntable, or on the speakers or placing a stethoscope on the arm bearing.
Also my reasoning is: how could there be Humm if the motor-plate turns at almost 2 RPM ?.
If I compare the specifications, the Humm of a direct turntable are superior to the specifications of a belt drive (Aiwa AP2400 has -70dB) (I clarify that the belt drive turntables in which the motor is outside the plinth do not enter into this discussion They are not in this budget)
And finally I saw a lot of post where there are complaints of Humm in Pro Ject and Rega, should do some DIY work to improve it.
That's why I'm in doubt about acquiring the Pioneer PLX 1000 or Pro Ject or Rega.
Greetings.

Last edited by ALPUY; 15th June 2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 15th June 2019, 09:32 PM   #2
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Read
Best Turntable front End system for a $1,000
to give you some guidance
Old 15th June 2019, 10:22 PM   #3
schiirrn is offline schiirrn  Germany
diyAudio Member

Direct drive and idler drive (broadcast) turntables have a different signature than belt drive turntables. More motor noise coupled to the platter in dd turntables: no. You might hear an idler wheel turntable "rumble" when the amplifier is off but it has to be really bad to a degree that makes the machine a case for the workshop if it can be heard.
Back to "better": it depends on your taste. If you like paper in oil capacitors, get a belt drive.
And befor getting something like a Pioneer PLX 1000 look into secons hand tables like Denon DP-2500 and the likes.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:16 PM   #4
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

To address the lovely internet's countless guru's that spew various myths and assumptions about turntables.....

A properly operating and designed DD turntable is totally silent.
There is no "motor noise" from these machines, unless there is a fault or repair in order, or the person hears things inside their own head.

Of course there are different levels of quality and performance due to costs, and today's costs are wildly inflated over vintage prices for even less build quality
In other words, they don't make them with the same care and quality as they did before, yet charge way more.

And no, associating DD machines specifically with DJ's is nonsense - dreamt up over the internet by goofballs.
Just because the "original audiophile" Technics sl-1200's were "adopted" into DJ use does not mean they are DJ-only machines.

Belt drive, on the other hand, can be quite nice, but belt replacement and motor maintenance is required, as do idler drive machines.
It's simpler to make a belt drive, but these days prices have skyrocketed for junk machines costing far more than premium DD machines of the past.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:35 PM   #5
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't give a rega house space. They don't even turn at the right speed.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:40 PM   #6
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
They turn at the speed Rega wants them to have, just enough faster than
it should be, for some to like the effect. Otherwise they would sound murky.
Old 15th June 2019, 11:52 PM   #7
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

which is enough for it to be completely off my interest list
Old 16th June 2019, 12:22 AM   #8
vinylkid58 is online now vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Same for Pro-Ject, at least the entry level models. The PLX-1000 is definitely worth a punt, although the odd one seems to have loose tonearm bearings. So that's something to be aware of.

jeff
Old 16th June 2019, 03:03 AM   #9
ALPUY is offline ALPUY  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

wiseoldtech, You're right about zero humm. On my turntable Aiwa AP2400 I can not hear any noise.
I have been told that it is manufactured by CEC Chuo Denki and apparently towards good things.
My question is if your tonearm is good or not and when you do not know its mass you would not know if the combination with AT440Mlb is good.
Actually I wanted to venture into Pro Ject or Rega for their renowned tonearms.
But Billshurv and Rayma have already taken my enthusiasm.
I think I'll save to buy a turntable from a bigger budget. (here in Uruguay there are not many offers in good audio, my Marantz PM6006 acquired it in Amazon paying US $ 300 more than import taxes, something similar will happen with the turntable)

Last edited by ALPUY; 16th June 2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old 16th June 2019, 03:13 AM   #10
wiseoldtech is offline wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPUY View Post
wiseoldtech, You're right about zero humm. On my turntable Aiwa AP2400 I can not hear any noise.
I have been told that it is manufactured by CEC Chuo Denki and apparently towards good things.
My question is if your tonearm is good or not and when you do not know its mass you would not know if the combination with AT440Mlb is good.
Actually I wanted to venture into Pro Ject or Rega for their renowned tonearms.
But Billshurv and Rayma have already taken my enthusiasm.
I think I'll save to buy a turntable from a bigger budget. (here in Uruguay there are not many offers in good audio, my Marantz PM6006 acquired it in Amazon paying US $ 300 more than import taxes, something similar will happen with the turntable)

Those project and rega machines are really not all that special.
And do not listen to everything about tonearms from others - it's all mainly cheap talk.
The same thing goes for all audio equipment, cartridges too.

Turntable DD or Belt drive. This is the question.Hide this!Advertise here!