Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

DIY Turtable Hum/Buzz issue
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2019, 02:23 PM   #21
Galu is online now Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

That's a fine piece of work! Your talent obviously lies on the mechanical side, and when you get the wiring sorted out you will have a pretty unique turntable.
Old 10th June 2019, 02:24 PM   #22
floxia is offline floxia  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
That's a fine piece of work! Your talent obviously lies on the mechanical side, and when you get the wiring sorted out you will have a pretty unique turntable.

It's going to happen only thanks to you guys!
Old 10th June 2019, 03:45 PM   #23
Koifarm is offline Koifarm  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

looks good.
Old 10th June 2019, 03:50 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koifarm View Post
looks good.

hopefully it will stop to sound like I hooked up wires to the power line and will start to play some nice music too!
Old 11th June 2019, 09:51 PM   #25
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Default MM cartridges are known to be problematic for humming

MM cartridges are known to be problematic for humming,
Read the following link from SoundSmith.

Hum and or Noise Problems? | Soundsmith

Cheers
Old 17th June 2019, 11:46 PM   #26
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That is an outstanding look table! Bravo!!
Old 21st June 2019, 06:30 AM   #27
nikosokey is offline nikosokey  Greece
diyAudio Member

"""" Lock the arm down into position and turn up the volume till you hear some hum. Slowly bring you hand near the tone arm. If the hum increases, lack of shielded wires inside the arm, OR a non-metal arm may be the cause. If it is a metal tone arm, and you touch it, WITHOUT touching anything else with either hand, and the hum increases, the metal TONE arm is likely not grounded, and needs to be. It needs a wire from its metal base that runs to the preamp ground, and connects there along with the tone arm wiring ground wire."""

From table above my Thorens td 280 acting with same story , as you see the cables are twisted ,when i pull out the TT from my phone stage this little little noise it's gone .
when I close my finger on the head then the noise grows.
The signal after the phone stage amplified by 6V6 Salas as preamp.
It seems there is an extra cable inside the TT as Gnd this following the 4 twisted signal cables inside the tone arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0011.jpg (837.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0019.jpg (1.00 MB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0002.jpg (866.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 716409d1542614857-phonoclone-vsps-pcb-help-desk-img_20181118_124856-jpg.jpg (394.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190213_194600(1).jpg (599.8 KB, 49 views)
Titan 2000 ,Cressendo Millenium 2000, P3A ,VSSA ΤΟ3 ,B1 Buffer ,Golmund Mimesis 9.2 Clone ,Preamplifier Dispre 2 - JFET, DCB1 SALAS, D-Reflector, BibFet, Buffalo II,ES9018K2M, Arduino LDR Volume, AK4490 Discrete Mirand Audio,SSHV2, 6V6 Salas Preamp.

Last edited by nikosokey; 21st June 2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old 7th August 2019, 03:29 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

UPDATE:
Sorry to everyone that contributed but I've slacked around with the project I've just gone back to it few days ago, after changing all the wiring as previously discussed now the turntable is wired as following:

- Cartridge to tonearm base -> twisted wires with gold plated connectors to the cartridge and female RCAs
- Tonearm base to preamp input -> 0.4m double shielded RCA cable
- Tonearm output to ampli -> 0.5m double shielded RCA cable

Conclusion: the buzzing decreased slightly but was sill there, pretty much no difference, so I scratched my head and out of ideas I hooked up a meter of single core copper wire to the preamp chassis ground screw and I chucked it inside the earth slot in the power outlet and boom that brought the buzzing down by quite a fair bit, now the buzzing starts to come up from let's say 75% of the volume.

I consider myself pretty happy with the results I've obtained and I can live with it, but I feel there is a bit more that I could do to improve it, if it can help when I touch the metal part of the cartridge the buzzing increases as well as if I touch it with a paper clip.

Thoughts? Bad Cartridge not helping the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosokey View Post
"""" Lock the arm down into position and turn up the volume till you hear some hum. Slowly bring you hand near the tone arm. If the hum increases, lack of shielded wires inside the arm, OR a non-metal arm may be the cause. If it is a metal tone arm, and you touch it, WITHOUT touching anything else with either hand, and the hum increases, the metal TONE arm is likely not grounded, and needs to be. It needs a wire from its metal base that runs to the preamp ground, and connects there along with the tone arm wiring ground wire."""

From table above my Thorens td 280 acting with same story , as you see the cables are twisted ,when i pull out the TT from my phone stage this little little noise it's gone .
when I close my finger on the head then the noise grows.
The signal after the phone stage amplified by 6V6 Salas as preamp.
It seems there is an extra cable inside the TT as Gnd this following the 4 twisted signal cables inside the tone arm.

Sorry I haven't been in the forum for sometime and I missed your post, I want to thank you for your contribution, I didn't need to turn the volume up to hear the buzz trust me it felt like i hooked up my speakers to the power line hahaha

Jokes apart I'm not sure if you followed all the topic but there is a part where I explain that even if I connect the cartridge on the table withe 5cm of wire it buzzes, though I would exclude that the buzzing has anything to do with the turntable itself because the buzzing is happening away from the turntable if you get what I mean, also I have no space in the tonearm to run shielded wires.

What would you say?
Old 11th August 2019, 11:38 AM   #29
epicyclic is offline epicyclic  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Try this ... add another wire to the preamp ground post and connect it to the female RCAs ground/screen lugs at the turntable . At present the RCA screens may just be floating .
Old 11th August 2019, 11:40 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicyclic View Post
Try this ... add another wire to the preamp ground post and connect it to the female RCAs ground/screen lugs at the turntable . At present the RCA screens may just be floating .

I'll try this, thanks for the hint!

DIY Turtable Hum/Buzz issueHide this!Advertise here!