Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

PH-16X Troubles
PH-16X Troubles
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th May 2019, 06:53 PM   #1
thermionicvinyl is offline thermionicvinyl
diyAudio Member

Default PH-16X Troubles

I bought a PH-16X assembled by Roy in January of 2018. The unit worked flawlessly for about three months when a very loud buzz developed. I sent the unit to Roy for repair and when it was sent back the hum was reduced but still present. I havenít tried much, expect learning to tolerate the noise. I took about a year long break from audio and Iíve recently started up my main system again. The noise/hum seems to the back and iím looking for any kind of solution to the problem. I know of people who buy these units and report dead silence. Mine is nowhere close!

Roy insists itís bad tubes but iíve already swapped them out for a new set and no chance. Iím using shielded interconnects and I run a ground wire to the turntable. Iíve isolated the noise to the PH-16X by process of elimination. It definitely is coming from the unit.

If anyone has had experience quieting this preamp please help me out!
Old 30th May 2019, 07:15 PM   #2
GoatGuy is offline GoatGuy  United States
diyAudio Member

One neat trick is to play music thru it at a level where you hear the buzz … then just pull its power cord out of the wall socket. Instant isolation. If the buzz persists, it is being picked up from either your cables or some other inductive input. If it instantly stops (before the capacitors discharge), then it is in the power supply. Valves, or if it has silicon rectifiers, them.

Just saying,
GoatGuy ✓
Old 1st June 2019, 09:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The first thing I tried was switching out all four 6922ís and switching out the 12x4 for all new tubes. The noise still persists.

Next I tried measuring a few voltages. F+ to F- was 12.65V and B+ was 176V. Thatís within a 1% difference so I doubt Royís wiring is wrong. However with the unit open I noticed the transformer itself seemed to be humming and I could also feel the chassis subtlety vibrating. Iíve been told this could be DC offset on my AC lines, but I have no way to test this as far as I know.

Another thing to note is that if I turn on my PH16X the hum only starts once the unit has warmed up and not immediately after being switched on.

What could cause this noise? I love the sound of Royís products but I canít tolerate the hum through the speakers!
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:44 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just tried what goat guy suggested and I do observe a hum after the power has been disconnected. So it must be some kind of ground loop or interference.

Where do I go from here?
Old 3rd June 2019, 05:47 AM   #5
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

Please check signal ground output connected to star ground chassis.

PH-16X TroublesHide this!Advertise here!