Tonearm height

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Chaps,

I have just finished building my SP-15 plinth and installed an AT ATP-12T tonearm.

I did an in-depth search on the internet, images, articles, etc, but I have not found anything regarding set-up.

Please help.

With thanks,

Horacio

Attachments

• IMG_2035_resize.JPG
    IMG_2035_resize.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2039_resize.JPG
    IMG_2039_resize.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_2036_resize.JPG
    IMG_2036_resize.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 176
Joined 2014
Paid Member
A good starting point is to have the arm parallel with the surface of the record with the stylus on the record (adjust VTF first). You can then try adjusting the arm op and down a bit (1mm at a time) to see how the sound is impacted. Different cartridges will react differently to these adjustments.

Well, thanks for the tips. It is a brand new Denon DL-103R.

I have the owners manual, it is a double page sheet of paper with minimal instructions for installation and adjustments. Yes, I have seen the USB microscope a while ago.

Hirscwi's approach is what I have been thinking but you take the risk of damaging the stylus.

I was able to adjust the tonearm height parallel to the record surface but the lower the arm the smaller the gap between the record and the cantilever, it is dangerously close.

Do you have it this way in your set ups? Please see photo.

Attachments

• IMG_2042_resize.JPG
    IMG_2042_resize.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 134
Many cartridges are low riders when adjusted to parallel. "Supposedly" when the top of the cartridge is parallel you should be very close to the cart designers intended SRA. Ortofon on their Cadenza line says the bottom 2/3rds of the cartridge should be parallel to the record surface and that looks a little tail down when viewed from the side. That statement is direct from Ortofon De BTW. I think your picture LOOKS proper. You'll have to dial it in by ear. Try moving up in small increments and then down.

Keep in mind as you adjust VTA VTF will also change, as you lower the back of the arm VTF will reduce.

I'm with Rog Grandy on the fact VTA has an almost negligible effect on sound. VTF and getting overhang and alignment correct are far more important on sound.

The Aphetta on my Rega RP8 would be that close to the LP and it has never bottomed. Although I do not have any very warped LP's

Love the spelling there!

Personally I don't agree but everyone has their own sensitivities and Rega did want to try and get people to buy their cartridges which were the right size.

OOps I was typing in the fark. lol

My previous TT was an LP12 with Ittok and Troika, as a tragic Audiophile I played with VTA adjusting VTF after every VTA change, the Ittok had manual VTA adjustment and VTF changed, decreased as the arm was lowered at the rear.

I could hear no difference. A change in VTF made an audible difference, maybe it's just my ears and other people can hear a VTA change. Or the change in VTA makes small VTF adjustments and this is what can be heard.

It would be interesting to play a test record with tones and capture the spectrum adjust TVA and see if there is a measurable difference. I can't do it as the Rega has no VTA adjustment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.