Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Tonearm height
Tonearm height
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2019, 10:19 AM   #11
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind as you adjust VTA VTF will also change, as you lower the back of the arm VTF will reduce.

I'm with Rog Grandy on the fact VTA has an almost negligible effect on sound. VTF and getting overhang and alignment correct are far more important on sound.

The Aphetta on my Rega RP8 would be that close to the LP and it has never bottomed. Although I do not have any very warped LP's
Old 31st May 2019, 10:27 AM   #12
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Tonearm height
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrjon View Post

I'm with Rog Grandy

Love the spelling there!

Personally I don't agree but everyone has their own sensitivities and Rega did want to try and get people to buy their cartridges which were the right size.
Old 31st May 2019, 09:42 PM   #13
warrjon is offline warrjon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Love the spelling there!

Personally I don't agree but everyone has their own sensitivities and Rega did want to try and get people to buy their cartridges which were the right size.
OOps I was typing in the fark. lol

My previous TT was an LP12 with Ittok and Troika, as a tragic Audiophile I played with VTA adjusting VTF after every VTA change, the Ittok had manual VTA adjustment and VTF changed, decreased as the arm was lowered at the rear.

I could hear no difference. A change in VTF made an audible difference, maybe it's just my ears and other people can hear a VTA change. Or the change in VTA makes small VTF adjustments and this is what can be heard.

It would be interesting to play a test record with tones and capture the spectrum adjust TVA and see if there is a measurable difference. I can't do it as the Rega has no VTA adjustment.

Tonearm heightHide this!Advertise here!