premotec motor run capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Seeking help with choosing a run capacitor value for a 16Vac, 2VA, 2phase Premotec motor. The spec is for 8u2F at 50Hz for 300rpm. I need to run it at 250rpm and will be using a power frequency generator that can be tuned to the correct frequency for 331/3 platter speed (250rpm motor speed). How do I calculate the correct value of capacitor for 90deg phase shift, given that I don't know the exact frequency I need to run the motor at for the desired speed?
Cheers. Matt

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If 300RPM needs 50Hz, then 250RPM needs 41.66666..Hz. Basic math.

I *speculate* that the new cap is very approximately 9.84uFd, but this does not account for motor inductance.

The lower frequency suggests a lower voltage to avoid over-heating from the increased current at the lower frequency. However this may only matter if the motor WORKS, like a power saw cutting a knot. Running light, as it should in a turntable, back-EMF is high and current should not be high. (Anyway a 2VA motor big enough to see probably has enough surface-area to stay cool.)

The Premotec motor is rated for 300RPM at 60Hz and 250RPM at 50Hz. No mfr would make a motor that requires 41.666Hz to run at a standard RPM rating, since these motors are designed to run from the frequency of the power available at the wall socket.

If Premotec made a motor to run at 300 RPM at 50Hz and 360RPM at 60Hz, it would be the first one I've ever heard of, and the motor would have 20 poles instead of 24.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.